Easy chicken stew
Homemade chicken stew is always a winner
What could be more soothing on a chilly day than a savory chicken stew. I'm going to share my favorite chicken stew recipe--so comforting, so delicious and so easy to make. A key ingredient makes the broth rich and tasty. This Easy Chicken Stew is a complete meal by itself, but you could also serve it with warm garlic bread or a crisp green salad.
All photos © 2012 Lynda Makara
Let's get started
To get started, you're going to need to gather up a few things:
Tongs to remove chicken
And of course you'll need some vegetables
The key ingredient for a rich broth, Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup
Easy chicken stew recipe
- 4 chicken legs
- 4 chicken thighs
- Flour to coat chicken
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 pound carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 stalks sliced celery
- 5 potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 T chopped garlic
- 3 cans Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup
- 4 cans of water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- salt and pepper
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 1/2 hours
- Coat the chicken with flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large pot then brown the chicken. You may have to do this in batches.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and saute the onion for about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery and garlic to the pot and saute for about 5 more minutes.
- Put the chicken back in the pot along with the canned soup, water, bouillon cubes, thyme and potatoes. Cook until the meat is tender, about 1½ to 2 hours.
- Debone the chicken and return to the pot, then serve.