The Delicious English Scone Recipe
Discover here the versatility of these traditional, simple cakes
I can't remember the number of times I have needed to produce a batch of something fresh and delicious at short notice and ended up with my english scone recipe! The truth is that they contain ingredients that are normally sitting in my cupboards and because they are so quick and easy to make, they quickly become something that you can become quite proficient in making. They are equally perfect for an afternoon cream tea served with a pot of tea and jam and cream, for a more substantial lunch with cheese, herbs and even vegetables added or as a luscious dessert with fresh strawberries and cream or ice-cream. I have even served them with added herbs to accompany a meat dish for dinner. Basically they are great accompaniments to many other foods that make them one of the most popular foods in England. Scroll down for two delicious FREE scone recipes.
Homemade English Scones - Let's face it, some of us do love to bake
They might be easy to buy (in UK at any rate), but can anything quite beat the homemade ones, still warm from the oven and eaten with the appetizing aroma still lingering around you.
Have You Ever Made English Scones?
Eat these scones as soon as they are cooled- the sooner, the better. If eating the next day, they are best slightly warmed beforehand.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Serves: Makes 12
- 400 g self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 50 g butter
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 beaten egg (optional)
- Milk to mix
- Preheat oven to gas 8 (230 degC) and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Sift flour with salt into bowl and rub in butter.
- Mix in sugar and add an optional handful of raisins for a fruit scone.
- Add egg and enough milk to give soft, light dough (or can make without egg).
- Roll out to at least 1/2 inch thick and cut out twelve rounds using large, plain pastry cutter.
- Bake for 10-15 minute
- Cool on a wire cooling rack.
Bring out the best china
Enjoy Your Cream Tea In Style
Bring out the best tea set and display your scones with pride on this lovely cake stand. They deserve the best! Let this pretty stand provide the delicate touch to your sophisticated cream tea.
How To Make Scones Light
By adding the right amount of liquid and so handling the dough as little as possible, your scones will be lighter, but this can only come with practice. So don't give up!
Serve Your Scones With Jam And Cream
How to make your own blackberry jam
- Summertime Berry Picking
Picking wild berries, particularly blackberries, is something I have been doing for around 45 years. It has taken me up onto the English South Downs and woods in Sussex and Kent to the large forests in Bavaria, Southern Germany. It has been an...
How To Make Pizza Pinwheels - A Scone Recipe
Fill your basic scone with a few ounces of grated cheese and a pinch of cayenne pepper to replace the sugar, for delicious cheese scones or try this substantial pizza scone recipe, a meal in itself and a great way to make pizza.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 50-55 mins plus cooling time
- 1 onion
- 7 oz can tomatoes
- little oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 oz mushrooms
- 12 oz S.R. Flour
- 3 level teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 oz butter
- 8 floz milk
- 2 oz ham
- 2 1/2 oz grated cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to gas 7 (220 deg C)
- Fry one onion in a tablespoon of oil until soft.
- Stir in a 7oz can tomatoes, 1 tablespoon tomato puree and 1/2 teaspoon marjoram. Bring to boil and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes until greatly reduced and pulpy.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2oz thinly sliced mushrooms and leave to become cold.
- Sift 12oz S.R. flour, 3 level teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt and rub in 1 1/2oz butter.
- Stir in 8floz milk and mix to form a soft but not sticky dough.
- Knead on a floured surface until smooth and roll out to a rectangle 10x12 inches.
- Spread the cooled tomato filling over dough, cover with 2oz cooked ham and 2 1/2 oz grated cheese. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Roll up from the short end and cut roll into 7 equal pieces.
- Arrange cut side up in a sandwich tin and sprinkle top with a little more grated cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until firm and golden brown. Leave to cool in tin. Break or cut into 7 pizza wheels to serve.
A Scone Recipe Ready Mix - The cheat's version!
All natural ingredients and so quick and easy. Just add water, mix and pop in the oven! Keep a pack in your cupboard for quick and healthier cake options!
Top Them with white icing or melted chocolate
Try adding white icing to your cooled scones with a cherry on top to make them even more appealing and get the kids to help.
Or dip the tops of the cooled scones in melted chocolate and split and fill with strawberry jam if you like.