Fakes Soupa: Greek Lentil Soup
A Lentil Soup from Greek: Fakes Soupa
Fakes soupa is a lentil soup that is a staple in Greek households. Fakes soupa may well be my favorite Greek recipe. It is easy to make, filling and nutritious, not to mention economical. It is not hard to see why this lentil soup became a standby for Greek housewives.
This is basic Greek comfort food at its finest! While ingredients and techniques vary by region, I have found this to be a good, basic recipe that is very accessible to American kitchens and palates.
Try Fakes soupa tonight and see if you agree!
This is a vegetarian recipe for fakes soupa. This is a typical way that Greeks eat their fakes (beans).
Serves: 4 to 8
- 1/2 pound of lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint or basil
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- Sort and wash the lentils in cold water, then boil them for 5 minutes to remove the shells. Drain them, rinse several times in cold water, then put them into a large pot with 3 cups of fresh water and bring to a boil.
- While the lentils are heating, melt the buttter in a skillet, then sautee the remaining ingredients in the butter for a few minutes. Then, when the lentils boil, add this mixture. Reduce the heat and cook about 40 minutes until everything is tender.
- Serve with a dash of red wine vinegar. Some regions also drizzle with olive oil at the table.
- Variation: Add 1/2 cup chopped green pepper to the sautee pan.
An Easy Fakes Soupa Recipe
This video shows just how easy it can be to make fakes soupa. Do not be afraid to just try it! It is hard to go wrong, there are so many ways to make fakes!
Fakes Soupa Poll I
Have you ever eaten fakes soupa?
Lentils for Your Fakes Soupa
You simply cannot go wrong with anything produced by Bob's Red Mill. Everything I had ever used from this company has been of the highest quality. Bob's Red Mill is a natural food company with sustainable practices. I feel good about buying these products and feeding them to my family. That's why I was pleased to discover that Bob's Red Mill products are available in bulk from Amazon.
These lentils are great for making fakes soupa! Highly recommended!
Fakes Soupa with Greens
Here is a variation of fakes soupa with greens. I love this! So healthy! Again, you see how easy it is to make this lentil soup!
Greek Olive Oil - Ingredients for Your Fakes Soupa
If you love Greek food, you should have authentic ingredients for the best flavor. This Greek olive oil is incredible! I highly recommend this brand for any of your Greek recipes.
This olive oil carries the PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) seal, guaranteeing its authenticity. Exceptionally low acidity and high level of anti-oxidants make this oil an excellent choice for your family's health.
Greek Balsamic Vinegar
You will want some authentic Greek vinegar to go along with your Greek olive oil. This is a recommended brand.
Balsamic vinegar made in the traditional way from grapes grown on the mountain slopes of Crete, then barrel-aged for ten years.
Fakes Soupa Poll II
Have you ever been to Greece?
More Ingredients for Your Fakes Soupa
Tomato paste in a tube is ideal for recipes like this one that call for a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste.
Handpicked mint from Greece.
Grow your own basil for all of your favorite Greek dishes!