jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

When a guest brings wine to your dinner party, should you open it?

1. Les Trois Chenes profile image90
    Les Trois Chenesposted 7 years ago

When a guest brings wine to your dinner party, should you open it?

If you open it and share it could seem as if you wanted to save your own, or keep it and risk seeming snobby - ie the wine not good enough, or again, mean - wine too good and keeping it for self?

2. scramble profile image65
    scrambleposted 7 years ago

I would say that it is generally best to open the bottle that the guests bought along at some point. If you already have a bottle open then just open that next. Sometimes you might have many bottles being brought and you might not get around to opening them all. In that case, so you don't seem favoring one bottle over another, you could always ask one of your guests to go and open the next bottle so that the selection is arbitrary.

3. glenn wallace profile image73
    glenn wallaceposted 7 years ago

I agree with Scramble. I'd only add that it can depend a bit on how the guest delivers the wine. Did they just hand you the bottle on the way in the door? Or did they give it to you and tell you about its rarity/quality ect.?
    If it's an expensive wine, or one that the guest has indicated is special, then perhaps you save it, and thank them generously.
    Otherwise, wine brought to a dinner party should be considered fair game for drinking on the spot.

4. nifty@50 profile image74
    nifty@50posted 7 years ago

When I bring you a bottle of wine it belongs to you, to do with as you see fit! I'm not taking home half a bottle with the open container laws.

5. USMCwifey09 profile image73
    USMCwifey09posted 7 years ago

Depends on if it's a large party or small get together. Large party: it's ok not to -- there's more than likely other spirits available. Small gathering: go ahead and open it.

Closed to reply