jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are the benefits of eating water-packed canned tuna instead of oil-packed?

1. Sally's Trove profile image81
    Sally's Troveposted 7 years ago

What are the benefits of eating water-packed canned tuna instead of oil-packed?

Or maybe what are the benefits of eating oil-packed tuna instead of water-packed? Think of this in terms of heart health, weight management, personal likes and dislikes, cost (oil-packed is much cheaper here in the US), and family traditions (will you be ostracized from your family if you serve your choice when it is not theirs?).

2. profile image51
    meghancsmithnjposted 7 years ago

The oil is probably packed with more saturated fats than the water...I am not positive, but I do know that vegetable oil has more saturated fat than canola or olive...good luck and just buy the one you like the taste of best!! smileA lot of people like the flavor of albacore tuna in water because it is much less fishy flavored and is lighter...

3. profile image0
    woolman60posted 7 years ago

When I use  tuna in oil I do not like that I cannot  get it as dry after draining it, as I can with tuna packed in water.
    When I made the tuna packed in oil, the tuna salad was too wet for my taste, did not mix well, and water packed mixed much better when making tuna salad.
    However, I have used tuna packed in olive oil, on my salad, and it tastes awesome, but it has to be packed in olive oil. Remember oil and water don’t mix, and let not forget the extra calories and fat content because of the oil.

4. Lady Rose profile image75
    Lady Roseposted 7 years ago

For one thing, water has less calories than oil, so it is a better choice if you are planning on losing weight.

5. Leenie Pooh profile image60
    Leenie Poohposted 7 years ago

If I'm going to add oil to a recipe I prefer to have control over the amount and flavor of the oil. In a tuna salad I prefer using water packed tuna because I can squeeze it dry, then add mayo and mustard which I prefer over tuna-flavored oil.

working