How can I visit Hangar One distillery?

1. timmartin profile image
    timmartinposted 7 years ago

How can I visit Hangar One distillery?

Is BART or a ferry better? When is a good time? What else is around there?

2. Simone Smith profile image94
    Simone Smithposted 7 years ago

I recommend taking the Alameda Oakland ferry to Alameda from SF.  Be sure to take the Alameda Oakland Ferry and not the Harbor Bay ferry, because they end up at different ferry landings.  Bring bikes if you have them (the ferry has plenty of room for them- there is rack space on each boat)!

From the ferry landing, it is easy to ride to the distillery- plus it's fun to just roll around the abandoned navy base. 

If you don't have bikes, not to worry.  It's only about a 30 minute walk big_smile

On the navy base, there isn't much - just a bunch of old hangars and landing strips, plus a skate park, some soccer fields, an auction house which is rarely open (heck, it might be closed now), and an old officer's club.  If you feel like getting historical and/or not leaving the west side of the island, I recommend visiting the USS Hornet Museum on the old haunted aircraft carrier - it is fun to tour around and imagine what it'd be like to live out at sea.

If you go on the first Sunday of the month, there is an AMAZING flea market, but that's a destination on its own!

If you're on bikes and feel like a nice ride, I recommend riding across the island to Park Street, where there is a lovely movie theater, lots of good restaurants, and shops.  You could have a really nice dinner, stop by Tucker's Ice Cream for dessert, and see a movie!

When you plan out your day, just be sure to keep the ferry schedule in mind... it would suck to get stranded, though you can easily take the 51 or another AC Transit bus into Oakland and get on BART from there.  It's not as much fun as returning into the city on the ferry though- you could ride right in to the sunset!