jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Do you reuse bacon grease or used oil?

1. Daniel J. Neumann profile image61
    Daniel J. Neumannposted 6 years ago

Do you reuse bacon grease or used oil?

Why or why not?

2. lockgirl profile image61
    lockgirlposted 6 years ago

I remember growing up and going to my Grandmothers house and seeing a jar sitting on the counter of bacon drippings. She used it all the time. I don't use used oil or bacon fat. The only time I use bacon drippings is when I just cooked the bacon, I never keep it after that

3. LADYGIRL profile image60
    LADYGIRLposted 6 years ago

Yes I do reuse Bacon Grease, I use it when I'm making German Potato Salad. And in the morning when I cook bacon, I save the bacon grease to cook my scramble eggs, just a liitle grease to coat the pan.  When I"m making cornbread put about 3 TBLS in the batter of mix, it delicious.  Its give the eggs and the cornbread a wonderful taste.

4. profile image54
    short11teachposted 6 years ago

I don't eat pork now, but I do know of people who save the bacon grease.  Many people like the flavor it adds to other foods.  It is similar to how some folks add ham into baked beans; it's all for the taste.  It really depends upon personal preference.  Also, many people use oil in deep fryers or a "fry daddy" multiple times before changing it out.

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

No, although I know it is a common practice.  I have no good reason not too, I just find it gross to reuse it.

6. DRG Da Real Grinc profile image78
    DRG Da Real Grincposted 6 years ago

I do sometimes when I make fried eggs or potatoes.

7. malaicadimas profile image53
    malaicadimasposted 6 years ago

Yes. Bacon fat makes the food I fry tastier (e.g. potato wedges). smile

8. rjsadowski profile image72
    rjsadowskiposted 6 years ago

I generally don't re-use bacon grease because most of it is artificially smoked today and contains sugars which burn. Cook some bacon and then fry an egg in the grease. If it sticks or gets covered with black specks it is artifcially smoked and should not be re-used.
    Cooking oil is safe to re-use if it hasn't been burnt. Run it through a coffee filter to remove any particles.

9. LaniK profile image60
    LaniKposted 6 years ago

I never reuse oil, but I sure do use bacon grease.  That's a wonderful way to cook many things, from eggs to kale.  I store mine in the fridge.