jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why do strawberries get moldy a lot faster than other foods?

1. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

Why do strawberries get moldy a lot faster than other foods?

2. rebekahELLE profile image89
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

If you're buying them at the grocery store, consider the time they've already been off the plant. They are covered in wrap which causes condensation, shipped in a truck, etc.  Try to buy as fresh and local as possible, only buy the amount you will eat in 2 or 3 days.  They need to be kept dry and have air.
    Some people freeze them or you can slice them and sprinkle some lemon juice and sugar on them (and keep in fridge until ready to eat), and it helps inhibit the mold growth.

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 6 years ago

Mold loves berries, and usually it's just surface mold. I get flats of berries wholesale, and usually dip them in a 10:1 water and vinegar solution as soon as I get them. This seems to really slow down the time until molding because it kills off existing spores -- I've been able to keep my strawberries for up to six weeks before, but I also bought them straight from the wholesaler through Bountiful Baskets so there was no wondering how long they sat on a shelf.

4. Brupie profile image72
    Brupieposted 6 years ago

Strawberries are almost ideal environments for mold to get started:  1) close to the ground to pick up spores; 2) almost constantly moist from dew; 3) there is a particular mold which is extremely common on strawberries, rhizopus stolonifer.

working