jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How much land do you think is enough for a small farm?

1. DowntroddenInDC profile image84
    DowntroddenInDCposted 5 years ago

How much land do you think is enough for a small farm?

There would need to be room for a kitchen garden, chickens, goats, a few citrus and fruit trees.

2. Don Bobbitt profile image95
    Don Bobbittposted 5 years ago

I was an avid Mother Earth News follower in the early 70's and they advocated that to be self sustained in the area that I lived in at the time, the hills of Virginia, a couple needed 10 acres of wooded land. This amount of land would provide enough free fall wood along with judicious cutting, to cook and heat a 4-room cabin without ever reducing the wood supply..
    They also gave projections for what was needed for animals and growing food, but you would have look that up.

DowntroddenInDCposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! We're much further south (we're in gulfcoast Texas), so we won't need as much wood for keeping warm, although I'd still like to have a woodlot on the property.

3. eternals3ptember profile image61
    eternals3ptemberposted 5 years ago

My grandfather owns four acres and that more than enough room for a horse, cattle, goats and chickens, with a field of corn and more room left over, so I'd say 2 acres if you like compact, 3 if you want more room, and 4 if you want land to work with.

DowntroddenInDCposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! I think we've settled on looking at property that's between three and five acres. If I can get more land for less, I'd definitely consider it! But 3-5 seems to be affordable for us and will be enough for our plans.

working