jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Where is a good place to find "unusual" fruits and vegetables?

1. skylergreene profile image60
    skylergreeneposted 5 years ago

Where is a good place to find "unusual" fruits and vegetables?

I'm interested in expanding my culinary repertoire, but a lot of the recipes I'm trying out call for some fairly uncommon ingredients -- for example, bilberries and dragon fruit.  The local grocery stores obviously don't carry these ingredients, and Whole Foods wasn't terribly helpful either.    Any ideas on where to find them?

2. rutley profile image76
    rutleyposted 5 years ago

Produce stores and outlets now carry alot of asian and ethnic produce such as dragon fruit.
    Some of it sounds like crap but is actually quite tasty.  Just throw your own twist on the ingredient that you don't have and call it your own recipe.  Who will know?

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Have you tried your local supermarket?  The ones in the UK all carry these as a matter of course, and have been for years.

4. eternals3ptember profile image61
    eternals3ptemberposted 5 years ago

Google "local asian supermarket," and if you are unable to pronounce the name, start there.

5. LetitiaFT profile image84
    LetitiaFTposted 5 years ago

Asian supermarkets are indeed the best bet for exotic fruits and vegetables, but I've found organic markets, at least here in Paris, often offer unusual in-season local produce that doesn't usually make it to the major, big environmental footprint distributors--even Whole Foods despite its excellent quality--such as Medlar fruit and Chinese artichokes or Jerusalem artichokes (only the names of which are exotic).

6. cloverleaffarm profile image64
    cloverleaffarmposted 5 years ago

Hello skylergreene. Actually, bilberries is the same as blueberries. You could easily substitute. They both come from the same family of plants (Vaccinium). Not sure where you live, but dragon fruit is also known at Pitaya. It is used in Oriental cooking, so an Oriental market might carry them. Happy hunting, and happy cooking.

7. profile image0
    Marntzuposted 5 years ago

I agree with LetitiaFT, Asian markets are a great place to look for the unusual. or any ethnic marketplace.

working