jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Why are you a vegetarian?

1. hrymel profile image87
    hrymelposted 5 years ago

Why are you a vegetarian?

There are many different reasons why people choose to eat a vegetarian diet. So for the vegetarians, flexitarians, and vegans out there, why do you choose to limit/omit meat and meat products?

2. Elderberry Arts profile image97
    Elderberry Artsposted 5 years ago

I became vegetarian several years ago because I realised there wasn't actually many meat products I really enjoyed eating and that a lot of the ones I was eating where not good for me. Since then I have come to dislike the idea of eating another creature, even the fell of raw chicken is horrible to me (my children eat meat) I also do not eat dairy because I have a cows milk intolerance.

3. tebo profile image87
    teboposted 5 years ago

I decided about 24 years ago that I no longer wanted to eat animals or wear them on my feet. I simply went off the idea and will never go back to eating meat or fish.

4. Lizam1 profile image83
    Lizam1posted 5 years ago

As a child I simply did not wish to eat animals.  My older daughter (16) became a vegetarian last summer, despite having eaten meat since she was a child.  I do sometimes eat chicken or the odd hamburger (sometimes a craving) but I like being meat free and I feel healthier for it.  I think our bodies know what we need and some of us are more incliuned to a vegetarian diet.  My youngest (14) loves her meat but she only gets it 3 times a week plus we all eat fish once a week.

5. lilacshrieks profile image60
    lilacshrieksposted 5 years ago

I'm vegan for ALL the reasons: animal rights, environmental issues, health benefits. Mostly I just love animals and can't stand the thought of eating or exploiting them!

6. profile image0
    Davidworkposted 5 years ago

I had eaten meat all my life up to January 1981 without giving it a thought. (I was born in 1955). Then, one evening, I saw a documentary about factory farming. It had scenes of pigs being kept in narrow cages, chickens being crowded together in thousands in limited space and having their beaks sliced off with hotplates to stop them from fighting each other, etc. etc.

I stopped eating meat the following day. Eleven years later, in 1992, I found out that most male chicks on free range egg farms were disposed of by gassing, and that cows were injected with hormone to increase their milk production. As a result, I gave up animal products altogether and have been vegan for the last twenty-one years.

I have only accidentally eaten meat about two or three times in the last 31 years. I bought what I thought was a vegetarian samosa once and only realised after eating a bit of it that it was a meat one, and about two years ago, I ordered what I thought was a vegetarian dish in a Spanish restaurant , and I simply forgot that Chorizo, one of the ingredients, was chopped up sausage. That was down to my own carelessness/sloppiness.

I am not dogmatic about vegetarianism/veganism; we humans evolved as omnivorous animals, eating meat which we either hunted or obtained from carrion, (carcases) or foraging for roots and shoots There are some theories that our brains became larger at some stage of our evolution because of protein from meat, but that makes no difference to me, I know that I will never knowingly consume animal products again.

1. Lizam1 profile image83
      Lizam1posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Impressive values that you stand by:-)