jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What is the difference between baking powder and baking soda

1. thumbi7 profile image65
    thumbi7posted 4 years ago

What is the difference between baking powder and baking soda

In cake recipes, some people use baking soda; some use baking powder. How does it make a difference?

2. Lee Tea profile image92
    Lee Teaposted 4 years ago

Baking soda is purely sodium bicarbonate.  Baking powder is sodium bicarbonate plus other added ingredients.  I'm sure someone else will come along to tell you which to use in which recipes...that is not my strong suit lol!

Be well,
    Lee @ Lee's Teas

3. vespawoolf profile image98
    vespawoolfposted 4 years ago

Both baking powder and baking soda are leavening agents that cause baked goods to rise. Baking soda must be combined with an acidic ingredient which triggers the leavening action. The acidic ingredient could be buttermilk or yogurt. As soon as baking soda mixes with an acid, it is activated and must be baked right away.
    Baking powder, on the other hand, already includes an acidifying ingredient. Mixing with moist ingredients is all it needs to be activated. Double-acting baking powder is usually recommended in baking as a second rise will be triggered during baking. This means that baking can be delayed some without ruining the end result.
    When baking chocolate cakes, combine Dutch Process cocoa (which has been through a process that neutralizes its acidity) with baking powder. Combine natural cocoa (since its acidity hasn't been neutralized) with baking soda. Don't make substitutions or you may end up with a flat, dense chocolate cake!

1. Borsia profile image46
      Borsiaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Correct powder is acidic and soda is alkali

4. thumbi7 profile image65
    thumbi7posted 4 years ago

Thank you all
    Now I understood that there is a lot more "chemistry" involved in "cooking"than I actually thought.

working