Moms Fruit Fritters
Years ago mom made what I called Apple (or Banana) fritters. I can't remember the last time she made them and I asked her during the last snowstorm (maybe week of January 20th or the wed of the week before) if we could make some.
We made 2 apples worth but Mom only ate one fritter! I ate all but 2 trying to make sure there was something left for my father. (he almost didn't get them)
For me there is never enough, as I like to munch on them through the day being they have to be finished that day.
For serving think at least half - 1 apple (or whatever fruit) per person for a serving.
This can be used as a snack, Appetizer, Dessert, or even part of breakfast
Reader suggestions: Banana, Veggies (though I think for this,the recipe may have to be tweaked)
You can use the apples depending on your taste.. like if you like
Sweet= Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Courtland, Gala, Macoun, Hawaiian
Tart= Granny Smith Crabapple Criterion
? = Macintosh, Fiji
All Purpose= Baldwin
Apple varieties from A-w some w/ picture
- Fruit... Apples or Bananas (well what we tried so far) For Apples normally the Red Delicious or Granny Smith as those are harder & won't fall apart but jsut use whatever your favorite!! All the better the fritter will taste
- 1 Egg
- 1 -1 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup (?) water (enough for thick dipping consistancy)
- 1 tsp. - 1 tbls sugar (or sub)
- veggie or canola oil (enough to cover to mid bottom of fritter )
We used light brown but i think this would taste much better. as for anything that could be used as a substitute, you know what you can use for your own diets & life styles
- Mix ingredients together MUST be a thick consitancy that can cover the fruit well, but able to mix think maybe a little thicker than cake mix.
- (If you accidentally add too much water then you just need to add a little more flower & baking powder)
- When cooking the fritter watch the bottom part in the oil. when it turns golden (and/ or) the top bubles turn it over.
- when both sides are the golden color you'd like take it out &
- lightly Sprinkle with (when still hot) Cinnamon or Brown sugar.