Fruit salad or Smoothie?
Every so often my Aunt Pam asks if I can pet sit for her. This time when I went to do something in the kitchen, I noticed she has a Vitamix (I'm guessing this, the Ninja, & Nutri-bullet are all forms of blenders/food processors so I'm just going to use the term 'blender.
Sadly our old blender (I have no idea when we got it) has never been left on the counter as to me one should.
So as soon as I noticed this on the counter, I was pumped to get some fruit from the grocery store on the street behind her house and make myself some sort of 'smoothie' I got a banana, apple, saw a package of blue berries & then one with blueberries & strawberries & got both. When I was trying to find stuff to include there were some almonds in the closet, & I MIGHT add a little bit of oatmeal for some fiber.
SO what's your preferance?
Which do you prefer to 'eat'
Suppl-erries - Supplies
Here are the ingredients for the fruit salad /smoothie you see here
remember just use your favorites If you don't like or are allergic just substitute it with something else.
*=Smoothie ingredient or supply
- Container to keep it in
- * 'blender' see section below
- *Juice (or a flavored sparkling water.. i used Pineapple coconut by clear choice)
- veggies (2-3 whatever will equal a serving or 2) )
- *Cup (pref. chilled in freezer)
I don't know if I can say EVERYONE loves fruit salad but many of us do, so what's better than a fruit salad? A fruit smoothie
I think it took 5-15 minutes to cut up & prep the fruit alone & that was just a few slices of apple, banana, selecting some blueberries (& I do mean carefully selecting for the most plump ones), cutting up 4-5 strawberries & throwing in a few almonds
This is more of an experiment than a set in stone recipe.
The serving, depends on how much of the fruit & veggies as well as the sparkling water (and/ or Juices) in
my Neighbor across the street from me is getting her son to 'eat' his veggies this way. You don't
taste the veggies you taste the fruit but I'm pretty sure you can only put a few pieces of certain veggies in. I'm going to just try a few baby carrots
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: ? varies
- 5 strawberries
- Blueberries (handfull 2-3)
- 5 -10 almonds
- 1 apple
- 1/4 of Banana
- 1 cup Coconut Pineapple sparkling water
- 1/2 cup of Orange juice (like a shot or shooter glass full)
- 2 vegetables of your choice but being as there's only Brocoli & Carrots here.. I'm just using a few of the baby carrots (probably 5)
- (IF I get brave I might use a piece of brocoli but doubt that)
- sweetner (amount depends on # of cups you are making
- Oats (oatmeal) for fiber
- Graham Cracker
- Or some form of Cluster cereal
- Prepare your fruits } Cut up the apple, Banana, strawberries
- select the blue berries you want to add (be sure to use nice perfectly blue ones that smell sweet)
- add in a few of your nuts (in this case almonds)
- dump in a tray of ice & crush dump fruit on top & 'blend' again (I used a Vitamix and just used the variable & changed the speed here & there.
- add in 1/2 cup orange juice, 1 cup of Pineapple/coconut sparkling water & 1/4 of peach neckterine (or was it tangerine) Sparkling Water mix again
I'm not a nutritionist so I can't give you how many calories and all of that, but i can tell you
It's healthy, nutricious come on there's fruits, berries & I believe I even added oatmeal which will keep you full longer! You can also add veggies and other foods (even ones you don't like, this way you won't taste them, only what you want to)
I wish I had a nutribullet so I could test this all out without any ice and see how much veggies, fruits etc you need to use to get a full glass.