- Food and Cooking
Green Tomato Jam
Green tomato recipes
Green tomatoes are not as widely used as red ones. The taste and texture is a bit different, but even the green ones are really delicious. You can use them in salads, fry them- or make jam of them. In Italy, green tomato jam is often served after a meal together with cheese. This is a super-easy recipe, with a great result!
Have you never tried eating green tomatoes before? You will not be disappointed. A bit stronger, astringent flavor than the red ones, but equally tasty. Forget about how a tomato should taste and check out this great flavor!
For this recipe, choose firm, green tomatoes.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 35 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- Yields: 1 jar
- 500 g green tomatoes
- 200 g sugar
- grated peel of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- Take away the seeds and cut the tomatoes in smaller cubes. Put everything together in a pot and cook slowly until thick, at least 30 min.
- While the tomatoes are boiling, sterilize the jar. This is best done by boiling the jar, as well as the lid, for about 15 min. Put it upside down on a towel to dry.
- When the jam is ready, carefully put it in the sterilized jar. Try to avoid air-bubbles to form, by slowly ladling the jam into the jar. When the jar is filled, close it well and put it upside down until cool. Will keep for about 6 months. Once opened, keep in the fridge and consume within a few days.
These ones I have used for many years. They are beautiful to look at, great when you want to use them straight on the table, or give them away as gifts. The lid closes well, keeping the preserves fresh.
Serve the jam with Parmesan cheese
Do you like tomatoes?
Green Fried Tomatoes
Green fried tomatoes is a very popular dish in the southern states, but the taste for it is spreading all over the world. There are many variations on this dish, here is one suggestion.
- 2 -3 big green tomatoes
- cornflour for coating
- 1 whisked egg
- a few tablespoons wheat flour
- oil and butter for frying
- salt and pepper for the coating
- Slice the tomatoes in quite thick slices. Sprinkle a little salt on the slices, this will draw out the water from the tomatoes. Pat dry and dip in wheat flour. Dip the slices in the egg, lettting the excess egg drip off. Dip them in cornflour mixed with salt and pepper, making sure they are coated with the flour all around. Fry them in a mixture of oil and butter on a medium heat until golden all around. Put them on a plate with kitchen paper to soak up the fat. Serve with hot sauce and sour cream.
- Get picture from Allposters
A classic movie - Fried green tomatoes
Super Easy Samosa
Some people call it samosa, others empanada, still others pie or spring-rolls. In principle it all boils down to the same thing- a little closed bag of dough...
IN ONE CUP OF RAW, GREEN TOMATOES YOU FIND....
23mg vitamin C
Green tomato gratin
This is a really tasty dish that can be used as a side-dish or main-dish, whatever is your preference. The list of ingredients is long, but the procedure is very simple.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 45 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 4
- 1 large red onion- halved and sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic- crushed
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 500 g green tomatoes- sliced
- 500 g zucchini- sliced
- 3 -4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper for taste
- 1/4 tsp chili powder- optional
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 -2 tbsp fresh oregano- chopped
- oil for frying
- 1 cup fetacheese
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Fry the onion in some oil, with a pinch of salt, until it is soft and caramellized. This could take up to 20 minutes. Add the garlic and let it all fry together for another minute before adding the wine. Let it cook until liquid is absorbed, about three minutes, then set aside.
- Mix the dressing for the vegetables in a bowl- 3 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper, chili, lemon zest and oregano. Toss the vegetables in this dressing, then arrange them neatly in a buttered oven dish. Spread the onion mixture over the vegetables and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove the dish from the oven and sprinkle the feta cheese over the vegetables. Mix the breadcrumbs with a little olive oil, add them on top and bake in a hot oven until golden brown, 5-10 minutes.
- This dish is delicious with some fresh bread, a salad and a glass of white wine!
- Get picture from AllPosters