- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
The Hospitality Guru: (cooking) Back to Basics – Knife Storage, Cleaning & Safety
CLEANING YOUR KNIFE
- Always handle knives carefully, especially when cleaning them.
- Never leave knives in a sink of water. This is bad for the blade and presents a safety hazard to anyone who puts their hands into the water.
- As a general rule, hold the knife-edge away from the body.
- When carrying a knife in the kitchen, make sure the blade faces downwards to avoid injury to others.
- Don’t run your fingers down the edge to check the sharpness.
- Don’t attempt to catch a falling knife; let it fall and get your feet out of the way. This is why it is most important to wear leather footwear for protection.
- Don ‘t hide a knife under anything.
- Don’t hand a knife to anyone else. Put it down on the table and let them pic it up.
- When carrying your knives in public places – like taking them to and from work – they must be in a knife case or roll, or a tool-box. It is illegal to carry a knife openly in public places. You may be liable to prosecution if you do this.