How to Make Shepherd's Pie
If you are not familiar with Shepherd's Pie it is a casserole with a beef bottom and a mashed potato topping. I call this recipe the "manly" meal because it is something my husband will often request.
I am not a fan of ground beef but having mashed potatoes on top definitely makes up for it. I have also made it with a combination of ground chicken or turkey.
One of the great things about Shepherdâs Pie is it is so forgiving -- use whatever veggies you have in your freezer or fridge for a different concoction every time.
Citation: unless otherwise stated images are copyright M. E. Wood.
In this recipe I am using green pepper, mushrooms and onions because they were vegetables I wanted to use up. That is one of the great things about Shepherd's Pie -- it is so forgiving. Use whatever veggies you have in your freezer or fridge but I would limit it to two or three.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 6 large baking potatoes
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 can sliced mushrooms
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 can beef broth
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Peel potatoes and cut into two inch pieces. Put in pot of water and bring to boil cooking until potatoes are soft to the touch of a fork.
- Saute chopped pepper, chopped onions, sliced mushrooms and minced garlic. Set aside veggies in a bowl when the onions are slightly translucent.
- In the same frying pan brown lean ground beef. When almost done, drain most of the produced grease from pan.
- In a small bowl mix broth, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, pepper and flour. You may need to whisk it to blend in the flour. Add half the sauce to the ground beef, stirring constantly to keep it from sticking to bottom. When it is bubbling and thickens continue to add the remaining sauce a little at a time and bring back to boil. It will take about two or three additions until all liquid is added. Add veggies, mix, then pour into a deep casserole dish and set aside while the potatoes are prepared.
- Drain the potatoes. Add garlic powder to skim milk in a 2/3 cup measure. Pour over potatoes and mash with hand or electric blender. When completely mashed dollop potatoes over the ground beef mixture until entire meat layer is covered.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for thirty-five to forty-five minutes. Let sit on top of stove for ten minutes then divide in to four to six portions. Serve with bun and side of fruit.
- Great for lunch the next day.
What Ground Meat Do You Use Most
Romantic Food Movies - Five of My Favorites!
Leave some warm fuzzies to go with my Shepherd's Pie lens.
You can rate this lens via the stars in the header.
Thank you for visiting!