- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Irish Soda Oatmeal Bread Recipe
Easy Irish Soda Oatmeal Bread Recipe
You will love this Irish Soda Oatmeal Bread Recipe!
Looking for the best bread recipe for your St.Patrick's Day party? You will love how easy it is to make homemade Soda Oatmeal Bread. Just follow the quick and easy recipe directions below.
Plus I have added several recipe cooking videos that will share additional recipes and also help you learn how to make Soda Oatmeal Bread Recipe.
Your St Patrick's Day party guests will love this soda bread with oatmeal!
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- Yields: 8
- 1 cup regular rolled oats
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons dark molasses
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- plus extra for dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Mix rolled oats, buttermilk, and molasses in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar until combined; pour flour mixture into buttermilk mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly-floured work surface and knead 3 or 4 times until dough holds its shape.
- Cut dough in half; pat each half into a 6-inch round loaf.
- Use a sharp knife to deeply score each loaf in quarters, cutting 1-inch deep.
- Wrap each loaf in plastic wrap and allow to stand at least 12 hours at room temperature to ferment.
- (Loaves can be refrigerated up to 2 more days after this, if desired.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place loaves on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake loaves for 15 minutes and reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Continue to bake until loaves are browned and make a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom, about 20 more minutes.
- Allow breads to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- To serve, slice loaves 3/4-inch thick all across the loaf, then cut slices in half.
Irish Soda Oatmeal Bread Nutritional Information
Amount Per ServingCalories: 295 | Total Fat: 2.2g | Cholesterol: 2mg
Have You Ever Made Irish Soda Oatmeal Bread?
Moderated by Sylvestermouse
© 2012 Cynthia Sylvestermouse