- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
How to Make a Juicy Steak
Steak on a Frugal Family Budget is Possible.
Economics are tight and if you are like myself and have quite a large family to feed then you know just how quickly grocery costs can eat up the bulk of your budget. The good news is that you can still make steak an affordable part of your meal planning.
If you enjoy a restaurant quality steak but are concerned about the cost, don't worry, you can still afford this quality cut of meat. Prime meat cuts can fit into most budgets easier than many people realize.
It is always nice to sit down to a juicy and tender steak that you made yourself and to know that you could make one whenever you feel like it. This steak dinner is so deliciously tender that it melts like butter in your mouth.
Maybe you could even invite a few friends over and show off your great cooking skills during those playoff games.
What Type of Steak do You Buy?
You don't always need the expensive cuts of steak to get a beautiful juicy piece of meat. I purchase just a basic inside round steak for under $5 per lb and they always turn out so tender they almost melt in your mouth.
Juicy Steaks on the Barbecue
Nothing beats the flavour of cooking outdoors on a barbecue, the juices and flavour flowing everywhere, and the perfect sear on your favourite piece of meat.
Sometimes keeping the seasoning simple (such as garlic powder, seasoning salt and pepper) can be the best way to get a flavorful, mouth watering, juicy steak.
Add Corn and Potatoes to Complete the Meal.
Tips to Help Reduce Your Grocery Meat Costs.
Meat can be one of the most expensive purchases on your grocery list. If you can save money here you will be amazed how you can stretch out those grocery dollars.
There are more than a few little secrets to reduce your expenditures in the supermarket so let us take a look at a few.
- Watch your fliers and only buy when the item is on sale. Stock up whenever you can afford to.
- Buy in bulk. It is a general rule of thumb that larger packages will have a lower overall price per pound than smaller units.
- Know your meat cuts. Some units of meat can be just as good as a pricier cut if you take the time to marinade or give them a good pounding before you cook. Sometimes you can purchase a bulk pack on sale to cut it down yourself.
- Budget out your meals to include a special treat. Have a less expensive cut of meat or soup substitute for some meals so that you can enjoy a finer quality meal on a specific day of the week.
- A casserole, stew, or soup can make a little meat go a long way.
- Variety is the spice of life. Eat a variety of protein within your meals. Fish, eggs, beans, and lentils, can substitute for chicken, turkey, pork, or beef to make your grocery shopping fit a little better into your budget.
Whether you are using a barbecue, stove top or over a campfire... over cooking your steak will always leave you with a dry mess even if you have purchased the best cut of steak money can buy.
Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Sauteed Mushrooms
Juicy Steak With Less Fat
Watch your waste line without sacrificing what you love. This grill gives you a wonderful juicy steak while the fat drips off of your meat. More flavour, and less calories.
If you think that a cut of steak may turn out a little tough you can always tenderize it a bit before cooking.
Marinade that meat or pound your frustrations out with the meat hammer. Either way works wonders to make a tough cut of meat tender and sweet.