Sarson ka Saag and Makki ki Roti- A sumptuous Punjabi Recipe
Sarson ka saag and Makki ki roti- The duo makes a typical Punjabi recipe
Where Punjab is known for its prosperity, agriculture and five rivers, it is also known for its tasty dish, Sarson ka saag which becomes more enjoyable and makes a sumptuous combination with makki ki roti (flat bread made of corn flour) and desi ghee or butter in winter season.
Sarson ka Saag
1. Mustard green/ Sarson (Leaves along with stems)- 4 bunch (1000gms)
2. Spinach/ palak – 1 bunch (500gms)
3. Bathue (White goose foot)- 1 bunch
4. Garlic sliced- 5-8 flakes
5. Ginger sliced- 2-3 one inch pieces
6. Onion chopped- 1 medium sized
7. Tomatoes- 1-2 medium sized
8. Green chillies chopped- 5-6
9. Corn flour (Makki ka atta)
10. Home made fresh butter
11. Pure desi ghee or oil
1. Wash mustard green, spinach, Bathue thoroughly with water twice or thrice.
2. Chop all greens with some chopper.
3. Keep the greens in cooker on full flame. Add salt to taste and chopped chillies. After one whistle bring the flame on low. Let it cook on low flame for about one hour.
4. Open the cooker. Greens must have been cooked by now.
5. Add some corn flour (100-150 gms) in cooked greens, mix it well and keep it on medium flame with lid placed freely on the opening of the cooker. Cook it for 10 mins.
6. Blend all the contents of the cooker with some blender and bring it to the texture of coarse paste.
7. Keep a pan on flame. Put desi ghee (preferably) or oil in it. Fry garlic till light brown, then add chopped ginger followed by chopped onion till onions turn light brown. Add tomatoes and let it cook till all contents mixes well.
8. Add contents of the cooker in the pan. Mix them thoroughly. Sarson ka saag is ready.
9. Serve it hot with home made fresh butter
Makki ki roti
1. Take corn flour/ makki ka atta.
2. Knead it with lukewarm water.
3. Make small bolls.
4. Take a flat surface. Keep polythene on the surface. Place a boll of makki ka atta.
5. Press it with fingers of your hand and keep on twisting it on the flat surface till becomes round and flat. This roti is thicker than normal roti.
6. Keep it on a pre heated flat pan (tawa). Let it cook on medium fame till it is roasted.
Enjoy Sarson ka saag with makki ki roti (both hot). Do not miss to add freshly prepared butter in saag.