- Food and Cooking
Lemon Curd (Low Cal/Carb, Vegan, Gluten-Free)
Pastry Filling or Bread Spread? A Tart Treat to be enjoyed in many ways...Pucker up! ;)
There are so many ways to enjoy this tart treat. This Lemon Curd can be enjoyed on baked goods or on savory dishes. This topper stretches beyond breakfast and dessert as a nice sauce for steamed asparagus and baked zucchini. You can add an additional teaspoon of almond milk to thin it for sauces. It's just the right consistency as is, to layer cakes, ice cookies or top sundaes. To make a thicker frosting, you can stir in chia seeds soaked in water for 15 minutes prior. Another high protein thickener you can use is extra chickpea flour. You can alter the level and kind of sweetener you use for dessert or savory dishes. Your choices include no calorie Truvia and Stevia sweeteners or sugar. Your Lemon Curd can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. I like to keep mine in a recycled fancy glass or plastic jar. For presentation, you can print a label and pop a bow on it. This sweet-tart treat makes a nice gift for a friend or a sweetheart...pucker up!
Peel 8 small meyer lemons, pulse peel in blender and reserve. Blend lemons with half the reserved peel.
or use 1 1/2 cups lemon juice
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30
- 8 small meyer lemons or 1 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 8 tablespoons shaved lemon peel
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup truvia
- 4 tablespoons chick pea flour
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- 4 tablespoons earth balance soy free spread
- Add water, truvia and chick pea flour to lemon mixture and then pour into pot on medium heat.
- Stir often while cooking for 15 minutes.
- Whisk in almond milk and earth balance spread and let it cook until thickened.
- Let cool at room temperature.
- The Lemon Curd will thicken while stored in refrigerator and last about three weeks...if there's any left! :)
This Is How It's Done! XO
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
Many ways to use it....