- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Vegan - Lenten Zucchini balls
These days my father in law has started harvesting his own organic zucchinis and has given me a lot so I thought why not cooking some zucchini balls for the family. They are really great and fresh. We enjoy this recipe very much. That's is the reason why I decided to update this lens and share it again with you, so you can enjoy it as well.
At Greece these days we are spending the season of Lent and during that time we don't eat meat, eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt and fish.
However that doesn't mean we can't enjoy a nice barbeque.
We have invented a lot of lenten recipes full of healthy and tasty ingredients which can replace the common BBQ recipes we all know.
This recipe I am sharing with you is just that. It really represents the simplicity and resourcefulness of the Greek cuisine.
It takes 2-3 humble ingredients such as zucchini, green herbs and olive oil and serves delicious and very nutritious bites in less than an hour.
Prep Time: Approx. 20 minutes
Total Time: Approx. 40 minutes
- 1/2 kgr. Green zucchini
- 200 g. breadcrumbs
- Â½ bunch parsley
- Â½ bunch mint
- 10 fresh scallions
- 1 onion
- 3 tsp. flour
- 1 sachet baking powder
- Olive oil
- Salt, pepper
- Grate the zucchini on a coarse grater.
- Then you put them in a colander, salt them with enough salt to make their liquid come out and leave them for a quarter. Then finely chop the greens and onion.
- Pour into a large bowl and mix them with the zucchini.
- Sprinkle with a little olive oil and mix with flour, baking powder and bread crumbs to bind the mixture.
- You make small meatballs, fashioning them into your hand.
- Put them on the grill and flip them 2 times till they are fully cooked.
- Serve them and enjoy!