Lentil Soup Recipe, The Best Comfort Food
A Really Warming Winter Soup!
Nothing is better than returning home after a cold and invigorating walk in the countryside to comfort food- a steaming bowl of lentil soup! It's warms you up instantly and delivers all those vital minerals and vitamins to get you through the winter months. This homemade soup recipe has been providing my family their best comfort food for 30 years now and is as equally good as an appettizing snack, blended and served with fresh, crusty bread or as a filling, main meal, served without blending, into which you can add dumplings or potatoes, according to your fancy.
What are it's other attributes?
Well it is economical and quick and easy to make and will be enjoyed by young and old. Blend it and even the fussiest of eaters will eat it up- in which case you would be wise to make a big pan of it. Due to it's thick consistency, you may need to add further stock if reheated. The cooled soup will keep for several days in the fridge- if you have any left!
Lentil Soup Recipe
- 100 g bacon
- 2 large carrots
- 2 large onions
- 500 g tomatoes
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 200 g red lentils
- salt and pepper
- Chop the bacon and fry gently in a large pan on a low heat until the fat runs, then increase the heat and add the peeled and chopped carrots and onions.
- Pour boiling water over the tomatoes, remove the skins, chop and add to the pan along with the washed lentils, stirring.
- Add the stock, bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and using a hand blender or liquidiser, blend until the right consistency.
- Serve hot, with fresh, crusty bread.
Your Vote for This Lentil Recipe
Enjoy Your Homemade Soup- Give Yourself The Best Comfort Food!
Your Favorite Winter Soup - which is it?
Vote for your favorite here-
Food is the most primitive form of comfort.— Sheila Graham
© 2011 Christine Hulme