- Food and Cooking
Low-Carb Gluten-Free Brownies with Peanut Butter & Cream Cheese
Sugar-Free Brownies to the Rescue
I have a friend who has a sweet tooth. The problem though, is that he suffers from something called candida, which is a form of fungus. When it flares up, it causes him to itch like crazy and sometimes to the point of excruciating pain. Its not an easy thing to watch especially when I know he's going through so much pain.
I've learned that sugar aggravates the condition and one must try to avoid sugars in all it's form, including simple flours and starches that gets converted into sugar once inside the body. During this time my friend had intense cravings for sweets and he specifically mentioned brownies. He was craving them badly so I decided to bake him a batch without any added sugar or starches.
*Photos taken by myself unless otherwise noted.
Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking
Easy-to-make recipes that revolutionize baking for wheat sensitive, diabetic or low carb cooks. Some of the delicious recipes include apple crumb pie, brownies and even pancakes! Try the cinnamon-raisin coffee cake. It's to die for!
While I was experimenting in the kitchen, I realized that these brownies are good not only for my friend recovering from candida, they are also gluten free as well as being low in carbs, making them suitable for all types of people.
The difficult part was trying to come up with a good recipe for making these brownies taste good and boy was it hard. I've added some cream cheese and peanut butter to the recipe, which was exactly what it needed. After a few miserable results, the last batch came out the best and pretty close to the real deal.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 35 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- Yields: 16 brownies
- 4 eggs
- 14 tablespoons butter
- 7 ounces 90% cacao chocolate
- 2/3 cup sweetener ( xylitol is best but other sweeteners work just as good )
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/3 almond flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a saucepan, make sure to constantly stir to prevent burning.
- Add sweetener and cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in 1 egg at a time.
- Fold in the almond flour.
- Pour the batter into a non-stick baking pan. ( Lightly oil the pan for regular pans )
- Drop spoonfuls of cream cheese onto the top.
- Do the same with the peanut butter.
- Drag a fork over the toppings to make a nice, swirly pattern.
- Bake for 20 minutes or just until firm.
- Cool the brownies before cutting into squares.
Have you ever heard of Candida?
Xylitol, the Best Sugar Alternative
This pure and natural sweetener is a sugar alcohol that is naturally present in small amounts in various fruits and vegetables. Resembling sugar in consistency and taste, but has a third fewer calories and is a great alternative for diabetics.
Check Out My Video - Just like my brownies, this video is homemade! There's room for tons of improvement I know, but I'm happy I got one done.
Use a Good Pan for Great Results
This non-stick baking pan lets food slide off easily and makes cleanup a breeze. Dishwasher safe for added convenience. The comfortable silicone grips add a splash of color.
Did you enjoy this recipe? All comments are appreciate so don't forget to say hello.