Lunchtime - Out or In?
The Straw - Order Out or Make In!
One of the girls with whom I went to high school parents owned a marvelous deli named the Miracle Mile. It was a tiny little place with the best sandwiches around town. Mind you, Phoenix was not a big town in those days but never the lest, the sandwiches were outstanding. For our high school graduation, they provided the food for the all night party provided by the school for the graduates!
All through the years, whenever I made it back to Phoenix, I headed for Miracle Mile and a Straw sandwich.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 - 12 minutes
Serves: 2 or more
- Sauerkraut drained - 1/4 C per sandwich
- Pastrami, sliced very, very thin
- Swiss Cheese
- Your favorite large Bun, Onion Rolls are an excellent
- Brown Mustard
- Kosher Dill Pickle
Instructions for the Straw!
- Place 1/4 cup Sauerkraut on the skillet which has been heated so that when you drop water on the surface it sizzles. Place on slices of cheese on top of the Sauerkraut, crossed. The cheese will melt and some of it will run down over the sides of the sauerkraut onto the skillet. (Be sure to get all of this for the sandwich as well - adds great flavor!)
- Place the sliced meat along side of the pan until steaming. Be sure to used more meat than you think is enough and you will not be sorry.
- In the meantime, put brown mustard on the buns and have your fries, coleslaw or potato chips on your plates.
- Using a spatula and a straight knife to scrap off the meat, move the meat from the skillet to the bun and top with the hot sauerkraut and cheese.
- Serve immediately and then watch the smiles appear around your table. But do not look for seconds. If you have made this sandwich correctly, there will not be room for another bite!
Just the Perfect Combination!
Your sandwich can be make from many different things, but my perfect sandwich is the Straw stack with french fries.
The only time I eat fries anymore is when we go to Miracle Mile and have a Straw for lunch. Cannot you not just taste it?!
You need to have some sauerkraut on hand for those late night cravings for a special sandwich fixing....
Dr Brown's Cream Soda
As an extra treat, when we go to the deli, we order a Dr Brown's Cream Soda to go along with our Straw sandwich - way too good and goes down way to quickly.
When I was young, Miracle Mile was the only place in town where you could buy Dr Brown's soda. Now you can buy it many places, but it is still an extra special treat for me.
The Little things that Make a Sandwich Great!
Makes any sandwich better and is a must for a Straw sandwich!
All pictures on this Lens were taken from the pictures provided by Miracle Mile Deli - thank You for the pictures but even more, THANKS for the Great food over many, many years!