- Food and Cooking
How To Make Soy Milk
How Do You Make Soy Milk
Soy milk is fairly easier to make whether you are using a soy maker or just a blender. The fresh taste of soy milk makes it worth the while. Once you have tried the fresh version you will prefer this to the packet soy milk.
This is a good alternative for those who are lactose intolerant. If you like a protein drink try making your own. You will find it is quite a refreshing drink, either warm or cold.
What Is Soy Milk?
Make soy milk from ground soy beans
Soy milk is not a dairy product though its name suggests otherwise. You make soy milk from soy beans that is soaked and grounded with water. The liquid is strained through fine muslin and then boiled. Sugar may be added for those who prefer it slightly sweet.
You can easily make it at home using your existing kitchen utensils. Alternatively, you can make it with a soy milk machine.
Ingredients To Make Soy Milk At Home
All easily available
500 gms soy beans (soaked overnight)
2.5 liters of water
Sugar to taste
Screwpine leaves ( if available )
The screwpine leaves or pandan leaf (local name) may not be available outside of Southeast Asia. This is a fragrant leaf used in dessert dishes and also for cooking a number of rice dishes to give it a lovely aroma.
How To Make Soy Milk Without A Soy Milk Maker
1. Clean the beans and soak them for 10-16 hours or overnight.
2. Drain away the water. Place the beans in a food processor or blender and cover the beans with water.
3. Grind the beans until fine doing this in batches.
4. Put a handful of the bean mixture into the muslin cloth and squeeze out the milk into a pot. Repeat this until all the mixture has been squeezed dry. The pulp left behind is called okara and can be used to make felafel.
5. If available then add the screwpine leaves that have been tied up in a knot.
6.Heat the soy milk to boiling point and continue boiling for 10 mins. Stir it regularly to prevent burning.
7. Add sugar to taste and turn off the heat. Allow to cool.
8. The soy milk can be drunk hot or cold. It can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Step by step instructions
Soy Milk Maker
For those who do not have the time or prefer a more automated way of making soy milk, you can invest in a soy milk maker. You can have your soy milk in minutes.
Soy Milk Maker - Just add water, soy beans, press one button and you make soy milk that is fresh and delicious in less than 20 minutes
This fully automated soy milk maker is very versatile. You can have any type of milk besides soy milk, with nuts like almonds and hazelnuts, rice, oats, millet, the list is endless.
How To Make Soy Milk With Soy Milk Maker
Benefits Of Soy Milk
1. No Lactose - One of the main benefits of soy milk is that it is a good substitute for milk. There are many people who are lactose intolerant and soy milk is a healthy alternative beverage for them.
2. Protein - Being made from beans, soy milk is high in protein and has more fiber than cow's milk.
3. Lowers Cholesterol - This is an important health benefit of soy milk. In Oct 1999, the FDA stated that soy protein when included in in a low-fat low-cholesterol diet could lower total blood cholesterol. It recommends an intake of 25 gram of soy protein each day. ( 10 grams of soy protein = 8 ounces of plain soy milk.)
4. Relieves menopausal hot flushes - The biggest benefit of soy milk is that it contains an organic substance called isoflavones which is very similar in nature to the hormone estrogen. According to Berkeley Wellness Letter, adding soy foods to our diets may help to reduce the risk of heart disease and osteoporosis. For post menopausal women when estrogen levels are lower, soy products may act lime estrogen and thus relieve symptoms of hot flushes.
How To Make A Smoothie With Soy Milk
A tasty and nutritious drink with bananas and soy milk to start your day!
2 very ripe bananas, peeled
500ml soy milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon banana liqueur (optional)
1. Blend the banana and soy milk in the blender until smooth.
2. Add in the sugar, lemon juice, banana liqueur and give a quick blend to mix all the ingredients well.
3. Serve cold with ice for two.
No TimeTo Make Soy Milk
If you are one of those who don't have time to make your own soy milk, you can still enjoy the benefit of drinking soy milk with the many ready-to-drink soy milk. Soy smoothies can also be made with packs of soy milk.
Left Over Pulp When You Make Soy Milk
Nothing is left to waste when you make soy milk.
What To Do With Left Over Soy Pulp - When you make soy milk with a blender you have a lot of soy milk pulp
The left over pulp after making the soy milk is called okara. Instead of throwing it away here is one way you can make use of it.