Our Famous Minestrone Homemade Soup Recipe
Welcome to the Family's Homemade Soup Recipe.
If you are looking for a delicious vegetarian soup recipe then we are here to help. Keep Calm and Serve Auchterlonies Minestrone. Ideal for Lunch or dinner, and even the day after. Easy Quick made meals, and yes this soup is a meal in itself. This tomato based vegetable soup is easy to whip up and ready in no time. It is a firm family favorite, and we serve it to our visitors with slices of chunky bread. Now It sounds Italian, and although minestrone is indeed Italian our name is Scottish. So we have an Italian soup recipe with a twist of Scots
Auchterlonie [Pronounced Au (awh) c-h (like something is stuck in your throat and you are clearing it, NOT Ch as in Chain)- ter-lonie]
Au-ch-ter-lonie Listen to me saying it HERE Apologies Audio not working at present
Our Name is actually from Scotland the home of Golf. And after a round of Golf especially here in Scotland when you are chilled to the bone from the cold North Sea Wind, nothing is more Satisfying than a dish of this homemade Minestrone Soup.
My husband was experimenting one day, in the kitchen and he wanted to make a good thick tomato based soup. So his signature dish the 'Auchterlonie Minestrone' was born. Asked for time and time again by our visitors.
The word minestrone means a thick vegetable soup. It is from Italian minestrone, the augmentative form of minestra, "soup," or more literally, "that which is served," from minestrare, "to serve.— http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minestrone
Delicious Homemade Soup
This really is a firm favorite with our family and friends. Affectionately known in our house as the Great Auchterlonie Minestrone
We love homemade soup and nothing beats this easy to make minestrone, which is ideal for Vegetarians.
Minestrone is a wonderful soup once you have the basics of the soup you can add in whatever you want, our favorite of course is adding in pasta, and all sorts of vegetables can be used up making this soup.
- 3 celery sticks finely chopped
- 1 large whole onion or 2 small
- 3 carrots peeled and grated
- a few small potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic (we love Garlic)
- 2 tins of Chopped tomoatoes (blitzed to make smooth)
- pinch of pepper
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- add Spaghetti or pasta if you prefer at the end
- non dairy butter olive oil or your favourite vegetarian / vegan substitute
- Chop celery, chopped potatoes, onions in pot, with grated carrots, and finely chopped garlic.
- Add a 'knob of your favorite 'butter' or your favourite vegetarian / vegan substitute' (you can use whatever you like here, I feel using the butter give a much better taste) and stir on a medium heat to sweat the vegetables until soft. 'Special Note' Sweating the vegetables in this manner is the difference between an okay soup and an excellent soup, make sure you do not skip this step. It brings out the flavour of the vegetables.
- Keep on heat for around 10 minutes. As you are getting the stock cubes dissolved.
- Add stock cubes to 1300mls of boiling water in a jug
- Bring the stock and vegetable to the boil. Leave simmering.
- Liquidize tomoatoes in another large pot and add the smooth mixture to your simmering stock and vegetables.
- Add seasoning if you prefer to here, although we never add anything until it is served at the table.
- Cover pot with lid, and Leave on a very low heat for an hour, or until all vegetables are soft
- Serve with fresh bread.
Making Soup in PicturesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Did you manage the Scottish Way of Saying Auchterlonie? - Can you speak Scots
I got married in Jamaica, and the minister could not say our name, no matter how much he tried. It actually was very funny, especially when half way through the ceremony he forgot the name, and we had to tell him, and he still said it with a ch as in Chain, not as in the Scottish ch, really does sound like you are clearing something from your throat.
In fact the only place I do not need to spell my name in St Andrews the home of golf due to the very famous William (1893 open championship) and brother Laurie Auchterlonie (1902 US open) the Golfers.
Both Were Honorary members of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews is one of the oldest and most prestigious golf clubs in the world.
Did you manage the scottish Accent for the 'ch'
Fuel for a Winner - Bringing back the Auchterlonies Name to golf
Apologies if you came here to find out about golf, If it is any consolation my daughter is bringing back the name Auchterlonie to Golf, after coming second in the Scottish Junior Open this year.
You heard it here First.
And what is our Winners favourite food 'Auchterlonie Minestrone
We love hearing what our visitors have to say.