- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Mini Wraps Make Great Appetizers and Fun Meals for Kids!
Here's a simple idea to make wraps even more fun and entertaining: Cut them into bite-size pieces and hold them together with fancy toothpicks!
When served this way, as "mini wraps," they become excellent appetizers. They also become far more appealing, particularly for children. In fact, my younger son refused to eat a wrap until I created battle wraps by holding small sections of wraps together with colorful sword-shaped toothpicks. (Of course, you need to be careful when serving children food with toothpicks! Make sure they're old enough to "handle" it!)
Below are instructions for both hummus and vegan "meat" wraps. The hummus wraps are much healthier, since the vegan "meat" and "cream cheese" are processed foods.
Prep Time: 15-30 minutes, depending on number of wraps
Total Time: 15-30 minutes (longer if making enough for a party)
Serves: 1 person for each wrap or two
- Wraps -- these can be flour, corn, or other tortillas
- Veggies -- choose what you like! Lettuce, peppers, onions, cucumbers, carrots, etc.
- Hummus or Vegan "Meat"
- Salsa, Vegan Cream Cheese, mustard, or other condiment, if desired
- The process is simple. Cut veggies into strips or small pieces. Lettuce can be left as full leaves or cut into smaller strips.
- For hummus or other bean dip wraps, spread hummus across a tortilla. Then add salsa (if using) and veggies.
- Roll the wrap tightly into a cylinder. With toothpicks at the ready, cut the wrap cross-wise into rounds of about an inch thick. Secure each round with a toothpick right after it is cut. Or you could place the toothpicks in the wrap at regular intervals before cutting it into smaller pieces; this is a good technique to prevent the wrap from falling apart as you cut it.
- For vegan "meat" wraps, first spread vegan cream cheese (I use Tofutti brand Better Than Cream Cheese), then add a few slices of "meat," followed by the veggies. Continue as described for the hummus wraps.
Toothpicks to Suit Your Style
My sons were thrilled with the "battle wraps" created by using sword-shaped toothpicks!
There are many other kinds of toothpicks available. Some are fun and whimsical, while others are formal and classy.
Follow Vegan Journey on Pinterest and Facebook!
- Vegan Journey on Pinterest
Stop in for information and inspiration! Pins for lots of recipes, vegan living information, and tips and tricks.
- Vegan Journey on Facebook
"Like" the Vegan Journey Facebook for occasional posts of recipes and information about vegan living.
- Vegan Journey
Here are links to my numerous articles about vegan living. I've divided them into several categories: Getting Started, Family and Community, and Recipes. I've also included links to other websites.