Mung Bean Recipes
The Mung Beans of the Oriental Cooking
Mung bean (Vigna radiata) is an edible seed that is a member of leguminous plants. It is commonly cultivated in some parts in Asia as well in the hot and dry regions of Southern Europe and southern USA. Most of its seeds and sprouts are versatile ingredients in certain Oriental dishes and most of its beans can be made into noodles and starch. It is a very rich source of dietary fiber that is essential for healthy digestion.
Mung bean also known as green bean, mung, mongo, moong, moog dal (in Bengali , Marathi), mash bean, munggo or monggo, green gram, golden gram, and green soy, is the seed of Vigna radiata which is native to Bangladesh, India, and Pakistan. The split bean is known as moong dal,Pesara (Telugu), which is green with the husk, and yellow when dehusked. The beans are small, ovoid in shape, and green in color. The English word "mung" derives from the Hindi moong.
The mung bean is one of many species recently moved from the genus Phaseolus to Vigna and is still often seen cited as Phaseolus aureus or Phaseolus radiatus. These variations of nomenclature have been used regarding the same plant species.
My Favorite Filipino Mung Bean or Munggo Dish
Sauteed Mung Bean Stew
On this lens, I included these different Mung Bean recipes for everyone who would like to try. But this one is definitely among my favorites.
1 cup of boiled Mung/Munggo Beans
1 cup of Ampalaya leaves (Bitter Gourd's leaves) or Kang Kong (Swamp Cabbage)
1 pack of pork rinds (crushed)
4 pieces of smoked Tinapa fish (Shredded)
2 tablespoons of fish sauce (locally known as patis)
250 grams of shrimps (removed tails and head)
250 grams of pork (cut in cubes)
3 gloves of garlic (chopped)
1 onion (slice)
3 tomatoes (cubes)
salt and pepper
1) First, cooked the munggo beans by boiling it with water for about two hours. Then when the beans are tender cover and set it aside.
2) In a different casserole, put some cooking and start sauteing the garlic and onions and tomatoes. Plus, add the pork and the shrimps plus the shredded smoked tinapa fish.
3) Now put your boiled munggo beans on it and let it simmer for about 15 mins.
4) For additional spices add your fish sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Then last the Bitter Gourd's leaves (ampalaya leaves) and pork rinds (chicharon) and then cover it.
It's a one of kind dish that lets you crave for more rice as it filled your stomach with this satisfying dish all the way from the tropical coast of the Philippines. I'm sure you will definitely want to try this one!
Another Home Grown Favorites!
Mung Bean Sprout Spring Rolls Recipe (Lumpiang Togue)
For those who are looking for an alternative dish for Mung Beans, you can use the week old Mungo Beans which are already called Mungo Bean Sprouts Spring Rolls Recipe.
This recipe is perfect for snacks and even get-together as it usually served in a special occasion. Plus, it is very nutritious too for all the veggie lovers out there!
8 Ready-Made Lumpia Wrappers or Egg Rolls (about 9 inch)
1/2 cup of Pork or Chicken or Beef (minced)
1 tsp Cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups Mung Bean Sprouts or Togue
1 stalk of Celery (shredded)
1 medium Carrot (julienned)
1 cup of Tofu (fried and chopped)
2 tablespoon Fish Sauce (Patis)
1/8 tsp of Black Ground Pepper
2 tbsp. Cooking oil
1) In a skillet, put some cooking oil and then saute the garlic and the onions and the fried chopped tofu and cooked for 1 min. Then add the fish sauce and the ground pepper.
2) Now put in the mung bean sprouts and then cook for another 2 mins. Then add the carrots let it simmer and remove the pan from fire.
3) Finally get your lumpia wrappers or egg rolls and then wrapped the sauteed vegetables inside.
4) When you are done wrapping the sauteed vegetables, deep fry it until turns golden brown.
5) Serve it with dips and sauces you prefer.
Picture Courtesy of: www.panlasangpinoy.com
Quality Filipino Ingredients from Amazon
Sukju Namul Recipe
A Korean Mung Bean Sprout Salad
1 cup or handful of Mung Bean Sprout
1 garlic (minced)
1 green onion (chopped)
1 tbs. of sesame seeds (toasted)
1 tbs. of soy sauce (light)
2 tbsp.. of sesame oil
a pinch of sugar
1) First, blanch the mung bean sprout into the boiling water and remove immediately until its becomes translucent. Then since the sprouts with cold running water prevent its cooking process.
2) You are now ready to mix the sprouts with the dressings then serve in a serving bowl.
It was said that the best way to buy the freshest bean sprouts is as soon as possible because it is easily becomes limp and turn mushy and brown. Also, it is best to check the thermostat of your fridge where you are keeping it so it will maintain its freshness in its storage.
Another Mung Bean Sprout Recipe on Video! - Spicy Bean Sprout Salad Recipe
Mung Beans Recipe Links for You!
- Mung Bean Recipe | Group Recipes
Our most trusted Mung Bean recipes. Reviewed by millions of home cooks.
- Just Bean Recipes - 25 Mung Bean recipes for you to browse
Extensive collection of unique bean recipes. Each recipe has an ingredient listing, preparation instructions and a printer-friendly version.
- Recipes for Mung beans
Looking for mung beans recipes? We have over 28 mung beans recipes complete with ratings and reviews. Find fried mung beans, grilled mung beans, mung beans ...
- Cooking with the Mung Bean the Ayurvedic Way
Recipes Here are some mung recipes from our Ayurvedic Mung Bean Recipes e-booklet available for purchase. Basic Mung Dhal ..