Panzanella (Bread Salad)
This salad makes an excellent side dish and is great for vegetarians. It's also a great way to use up any leftover bread.
- 2 c. small tomatoes, any variety
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1/2 c. sliced onions
- 2 c. stale or crusty bread, sliced into cubes
- 5 leaves fresh basil
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Take the tomatoes and cut each of them in half then place the tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Peel and slice the cucumber in quarters and add them to the tomatoes.
- Add the onions to the mixture.
- Roughly chop the basil leaves and add them to the salad toss the ingredients together.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper; stir until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss together to coat the ingredients.
- Toss the bread cubes into the salad just before serving.