Holy Parsnip Soup Batman!
Delicious & Easy Parsnip and Onion Soup - Helps Prevent Diabetes, Cancer & Heart Disease
Batman may know how to fight crime in Gotham City, but the parsnip helps you prevent many diseases that can invade your body.
Late Summer brings about thoughts of the upcoming Fall Harvest season. Amongst the pumpkins, gourds, dry seed corn and other Autumn garden foods, parsnips are one of the most overlooked, healthy vegetables.
Parsnip and onion soup is not only hearty, it is also very tangy and tasty. Parsnips are also known as one of the super foods that will help prevent diabetes and other health conditions.
The smell of parsnip soup in a crock pot, on its way to completion, is a sign that Fall has arrived. Soup is a staple in the Fall and Winter and not only tastes great, it can warm the body for outside activity. I remember my Grandmother cooking parsnips in her soup and the smell is not only nostalgic to me, but heavenly.
This parsnip and onion soup recipe is something very easy to make. I experimented until I found the perfect taste.
Please enjoy and I would love to hear what you think of it!
Parsnips are not just for Grandma
Long ago, parsnips were a staple food for many families.
It is a fibrous root vegetable that is not only tasty, it provides numerous health benefits and is also filling.
Believe it or not, about 100 years ago, parsnips were more popular than the potato. They were easier to grow and required less care and maintenance during the growing season. The seeds were also very easy and inexpensive to obtain.
Parsnips are grown from seeds, planted in the early Spring and best when harvested in the early Fall, after the first frost. If you would like an even sweeter parsnip, you can also leave them in the ground until the following Spring. They key is, however, to ensure that they have been exposed to some cold or they won't be as tender or tasty.
They have a fibrous center than can be eaten but is almost woody in texture if not cooked long enough. I prefer to remove this center before cooking my parsnips. It makes the cooking completion time much less.
Parsnips can be roasted and also mashed, like potatoes. My favorite recipe, however, is to combine them with other vegetables and spices in a soup.
I hope that you enjoy this parsnip soup recipe and website and if you have any suggestions, please leave them below in the Guestbook.
The Rival Mini Crock Pot
This is a small crock pot to cook any type of soup or stew.
This size is perfect for one or two people and especially, if you want to eat everything in one meal, without leftovers.
Parsnips are a Healing Food - What types of health issues can parsnips prevent?
- Intestinal Conditions and Diabetes - These are prevented by the heavy parsnip fiber which helps the intestines and blocks the blood sugars.
- Cancer - Parsnips are great sources of fiber, Folate and Phenolic Acid, which all have been shown to stop cancer from occurring.
- Stroke and other Heart Conditions - The B Vitamin Folate in parsnips helps prevent strokes and heart conditions. Many are deficient in these nutrients and parsnips can provide needed amounts.
The Ingredients - Parsnip & Onion Soup
- 3 Small - Medium Parsnips
- 1/2 White or Red Onion
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Garlic
- Italian Seasoning
- Add the Ingredients below to a small to medium crock pot. You can use a larger crock pot for more servings, if you desire.
- 1) Parsnips - Cut into smaller pieces. If the parsnip is larger, it will have a woody center and you should remove that section.
- 2) Chop the onion into small bite size pieces or as desired.
- 3) Add a tablespoon of fresh garlic - I use garlic from a jar but you can add any garlic.
- 4) Sprinkle salt, pepper and Italian seasoning as desired.
- 5) Cover the contents with filtered water.
- 6) Turn the crock pot on high and in about 3 hours, stir the ingredients
- 7) Depending on the crock pot, the soup should be ready in 5-6 hours. The longer the cook time, the more tender the parsnips will be.
- Add carrots & potatoes to the soup for a heartier meal.
Get your Parsnip on! - The top selling fun Parsnip Products from Amazon
A Parsnip Pig Piggy Bank? How cute is this? Just looking at this little guy can give you a giggle.
There is a lamb named "Parsnip" who wants to be part of your child's life.
A cute name for a cute character and very cleverly done!
Well, you know how children love to talk about bodily noises and functions.
This will surely get several laughs from the kids and will be a book that they will want to read over and over.
Parry Parsnip Talks Meats - Reminiscent of Bubba Gump? - Yes, bacon is part of the conversation
A quick flash animation of a talking parsnip who enjoys meats.
Not sure if he likes to eat them or just get cooked with them.
Funny and a little endearing