- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Perfect Homemade Scotch Eggs
How do you rate this recipe?
Homemade Scotch Eggs are 1000 times better
Shop bought Scotch eggs are always dry on the inside, with a hard, flaky and pale looking light yellow yolk. Although a tasty concept, home made Scotch Eggs, if done well by following this recipe suddenly become absolutely delicious. This recipe guarantees a slightly runny and soft yolk in the inside, wrapped in delicious homemade sausage meat with golden crispy breadcrumbs on the outside.
As the name implies, Scotch Eggs are a Scottish speciality, once eaten as part of a breakfast, or served as a snack, as part of a picnic or at high tea.
My family were absolutely blown away by these, and never again will consider buying shop made ones, whether they are having a buffet, going on a picnic, or just fancy a special treat.
- 6 large eggs (free range if possible)
- Half a small onion
- Zest of one lemon
- Little fresh sage
- Ground mace
- 225 g (8 oz) sausage meat or pork mince
- 100 g (4 oz) dried white breadcrumbs
- Firstly we want to hard boil the eggs. Put the eggs into a saucepan of cold water. Bring the water to the boil. Now turn off the heat and put a lid on the pan.
- Leave for exactly 4 minutes. Remove the eggs and put into a bowl of iced water to stop any more cooking.
- Melt a nob of butter in a frying pan, finely chop the onion and add to the pan. Do not allow the onion to brown. Remove from the heat once softened.
- Add the ground mace, lemon zest and sage once cooled.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using your hands mix this into the mincemeat mixture.
- Divide the mixture into four . For each one flour some cling film and wrap around the mixture, flatten with a rolling pin.
- Peel the 4 eggs
- gently wrap the sausage meat around each egg, again use floured clingfilm to make shaping easier.
- Beat two eggs in a bowl and pass the 4 eggs with the sausage meat through the beaten egg then roll in the breadcrumbs.
- For an extra crispy finish this can be repeated for each egg.
- Put the Scotch eggs in the fridge, which allows them to relax and firm up a little.
- In a deep fryer heat oil to 180' / 350 F
- Gently lower the 2 of the eggs into the hot oil and cook from 5 to 7 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- The eggs can now be eaten hot or cold.
Crispy and Golden Scotch Eggs
Homemade Scotch Eggs, know what you are eating
Making your own homemade Scotch eggs using this recipe is so much more rewarding and healthier than buying the unappetizing processed ones in the shops. Even better, you know exactly what you are eating and what is in them.
This is a great and somewhat original way to use up your eggs if you find you have to many and they really are delicious. They are great for lunches, snacks or picnics. If you have never tried them I urge you to and am sure you will impress your friends with them.
I wish you luck when you cook these and promise you, once you have tried your own, you'll never buy them from a shop again.