- Food and Cooking
How to make "delicious" Sinigang na Baboy!
The Recipe is here!
This article has the instructions (including beautiful photos) for making Sinigang na Baboy.
If you follow these directions it will be an awesome taste experience for you!
Included on this page are detailed pictures of all the the ingredients that you will require to make this recipe.
First, please gather the following ingredients
1) 1 pound of Pork (cut into bite sized chunks and remove the obvious fat). When cooking sinigang with pork, choose a cut with bones because it is the bones that make the broth rich and full-bodied. Pork tail is usual but you can also use ribs or even belly with bones.
But keep in mind, we shouldn't really include fat (even though it adds a lot to the taste) because this isn't the "old days" anymore and we want to stay healthy and slim!
2) 4 Tomatoes (also cut into pieces)
3) 4 pieces Gabi -peeled and quartered
(It is a tuberous plant, Taro root is the perfect conduit for strong flavors). Another name for Taro is "gabi," that is what they would call it in the Philippines.
4) 1 Radish (Labanos)
5) 8 String beans (the long ones called Sitaw)
cut into 2 inch pieces
6) A bunch of Kang Kong leaves
(river spinach) washed and plucked from stems
7) 2 pieces Siling haba
(long green peppers)
8) Knorr Pansigang flavor mix
9) 1 tablespoon salt,
and a dash of black pepper
10) 1 chopped onion
11) 3 tablespoon soy sauce mixed with calamansi juice (a sweet juice perhaps somewhere in between orange juice and lemonade)
My own secret recipe for a better taste
When you cook Sinigang na baboy you must remember to put sampaloc (this is the Filipino term for tamarind) to make it taste delicious.
Don't forget the Kangkong leaves and gabi, these Ingredients make an awesome difference.
In a large pot, bring water and pork to a boil. Add tomatoes, onion, gabi,
salt and tamarind. Simmer 1 hour or until pork is tender.
When pork is tender, add the radish, string beans, and siling haba.
Then add the Knorr Sinigang Mix.
Cook for 10 minutes more uncovered.
Add spinach, cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes (to finish
cooking the spinach from just the leftover heat).
Put in a bowl as a soup, add pepper to taste...
And have plenty of hot cooked rice on the side!
May I suggest this cooking pot for an ideal result: