How to Make Vietnamese Beef Soup - Pho Bo
Pho is perfect for any weather
Beef Pho Noodle Soup
To make authentic Pho Bo, you should make the beef broth yourself, but I know a shortcut.
You can make a delicious Vietnamese beef soup with a can of beef broth, a can of beef consomme and some good quality boneless beef sirloin.
It's simple enough, and quick enough, for any novice cook to whip up and the choice of garnish will inspire a seasoned veteran of the kitchen.
Ingredients for Pho Bo
500g - 1 lb good quality boneless beef sirloin
For the Beef Broth
1 can clear beef broth
1 can condensed beef consomme
2 tablespoons soya sauce
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 cinnamon stick
For the Pho
Wide rice noodles (banh pho )
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
For the Topping
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
2 small chili peppers (optional)
Before you start ...
Before you start, pop the beef sirloin into the freezer (for about 45 minutes). Freezing for a short time lets you cut very fine slices.
- Take a large pot and combine the cans of broth and consomme with the water
- Add the soy sauce, ginger and cinnamon stick
- Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for 30 mins
- Discard the cinnamon stick
- Slice the beef into very thin slices
- Put the noodles into a large bowl and pour hot water over. Let them stand
- Drain noodles and add with the carrots to the simmering broth. 3 mins
- Add the sliced beef and bean sprouts to the broth. 1 min
- Take the pot off the heat and stir in coriander, basil and the optional peppers.
Garnish the Pho
Vietnamese dishes are typically served with lots of greens, herbs, dipping sauces, lime and lemon.
A Bowl of Pho tastes better with Chopsticks
So you want to tuck into your steaming bowl of pho but unsure how to go about it?
Take your chopsticks in one hand and a soup spoon in the other hand.
Spoon up a little broth and have a good slurp. Pick up some noodles with your chopsticks. Then select pieces of ingredients from the bowl and enjoy them individually or together with the broth and noodle.
Elegant Bowls and Chopsticks
Classic porcelain bowls glazed in a rich black.
Comprises 2 bowls, 2 spoons, & 2 chopsticks
How about you?
Do you Pho?
© 2010 Susanna Duffy