I have no idea where or when I got this recipe but I don't take credit for it, other than leaving out the Dressing & those onions..(blah)
I prefer chives as for a 'dessing' have not found one I would prefer for it yet.
Apetizing Autumn Affair
Well it doesn't have to just be for the fall, any time of year it works well for hors d'oeuvres (or canapeas Can-a-peas) make 2-3 batches for an appetizer or just a snack for a football party!
I wanted to share this with you because when you are missing the spring & summer the Pineapple and waterchestnuts may give you the feel of being say, maybe in Hawaii (& change the bacon to Spam it them becomes Hawaiian Rumaki but you need to include Hibiscus flowers as garnish (they are edible too!)
another few reasons
1. I love finger food
2. I love bacon
3. I get upset when I don't find water chesnuts in with my roast pork lo mein chinese food.
4. I like fruit!~ especially exotic ones.
- Wood toothpicks
- thick cut bacon
- Water Chesnut slices
- green onion or chives
- sesame ginger dressing (or leave it out...)
- cooking spray
- Aluminum foil
To start...I had a problem spelling the word and yeah I know its French and all but other words have been Americanized to some point. So Choose one of the options below or include what you call them or your way of remembering how to spell it!
What should we 'Americanize' the word hors D'
- 8 thick-cut bacon slices
- 24 cubes (1 inch in size) of fresh pineapple
- 24 slices water chesnuts
- *1/2 cup low-fat sesame ginger dressing Newman's Own Garnish: Chopped green onion
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 Celcius)
- Line bottom of section of a broiler pan (Range Kleen Porcelain Broiler Pan with Porcelain Grill) with aluminum foil . Top this with the broiler rack and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a knife cut each bacon slice crosswise into 3 pieces
- Wrap 1 pineapple cube and 1 water chesnut slice with 1 piece of bacon. Secure this with a wooden pick. Repeat the process with the remaining morsels and place in the prepared pan.(HIC Broiler Rack, 12-by-7-1/2-Inch)
- Bake for 15 minutes
- or until bacon is almost done turning once
- Brush with salad dressing and bake for 5 minutes longer
- Garnish with green onion (or chives) if desired.
Crown Apple tail
Prep time 5 minutes
6 cups apple cider
1 (34 oz) bottle refrigerated peach nectar
1 1/4 cup Crown Royal Delux Whiskey
Garnish: Fresh Apple slices
Makes 12 servings
What Was My Thought on Trying It
I love it, The different flavors and textrures together was an experience, and if you are a football fan, why not offer them for .. is it the all star game that's in Hawaii?
Instead of it all being cooked together, I'd rather cooke each seprately yeah sure it's a bit more time etc. But hey cooked in different ways will add to the experience!
Like I'd like to fry the Pineapple slices a bit with a little brown sugar, until a bit blackened.
The bacon (either maple or applewood) I'd just throw in the frying pan on its own and as for the water chestnuts, (which I call 'hidden trasure' when we get chinese food) I'd put a shot of soy saucce on them while in the pan.
here's some other variations