Quick and Easy Lunch or Dinner: Corned Beef
Fast and Nutritious Meals for Busy People
Working moms often have this problem: how to feed her family hot, nutritious and fast meals at least once a day. A balanced diet is difficult to maintain when all the hours of one day are budgeted down to the last minute.
Good thing, there are lots of delicious dishes with simple recipes and quick cooking time to help homemakers -- like the sautéed corned beef and cabbage -- that even dads and kids can easily prepare. The ingredients are not expensive but bursting with good stuff for the body such as protein and vitamins C, B, and A.
When shopping for food, always buy the cheapest vegetables but make sure they are fresh since they will be stored in the refrigerator for days.
Root vegetables such as: carrots, potatoes, onions, and garlic will last for weeks when they are not wet. Store the carrots in the refrigerator while keep the rest in a cool and dry place.
Leafy vegetables last longer when wrapped in old newspaper and put in the crisper box of the refrigerator.
When shopping for meat, choose the cheapest cut. Cook the meat over low heat for hours or until the meat is tender. Divide the meat into portions and store properly in the freezer. These are handy and low-priced for quick meals.
Tips on How to Give Veggies Longer Storage Life
- After washing the veggies, drain well and spread on a clean cloth to air-dry.
- To seal in freshness, wrap the vegetables in old clean newspaper sheets.
- Wrap veggies in pairs or in group, according to what planned recipes need.
- Write the veggies' name and the date bought on the wrapper.
- Put the wrapped leafy vegetables on top to avoid crushing.
- Do not peel or cut the vegetables to be stored.
- Or when you want to cube the vegetables like carrots and potatoes, be sure to store them in the freezer. Use separate container.
Paring Knife and Cutting Board Set
Cabbage and Corned Beef Recipe
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- ground pepper and salt, to taste
- 2 pieces boullion beef cubes
- 1 piece green chili, sliced
- 1 350-gram can corned beef
- 1 piece large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 piece medium carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1 whole medium cabbage, cut to strips
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
How to Cook
- Over low heat, stir-fry garlic until slightly toasted. Add onions, ground pepper, and boullion cubes. Add green chili. Sir in corned beef until well blended.
- Add potato and carrot cubes. Stir in tomato sauce and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage. Sprinkle a pinch of salt. Cover for 2 minutes.
- Mix the limp cabbage with other vegetables and corned beef sauce.