Reindeer Chow - A Festive Holiday Treat to Share With Family and Friends
'Tis the season to be giving and you just can't beat something homemade with love! Why not make some Reindeer Chow this holiday season to share with family and friends?
Every year at Christmas, I like to make a homemade treat to give to neighbors and friends to let them know I am thinking of them and how much I appreciate having them in my life. What I make varies from year to year, but people always seem to love it when I make them my Reindeer Chow - also known as Peppermint Muddy Buddies.
My Reindeer Chow recipe came to be when I was making a snack for our family movie night. I had planned on making traditional Muddy Buddies, but since it was Christmas time, I thought I would change it up a bit and make it peppermint flavored. My kids absolutely loved how it turned out and I have been making this recipe at Christmas ever since.
When I give Reindeer Chow as a gift, I like to put it in a big glass jar and decorate it with a pretty bow. I save honey jars throughout the year for this purpose. You can also buy pretty decorated cellophane bags this time of year which are also great to use for packaging the Peppermint Muddy Buddies.
I hope this recipe inspires you to make some holiday treats this year to help spread some Christmas cheer!
- 1/2 cup crushed Candy Canes
- 9 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 12 oz. Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 -4 drops Peppermint Oil (or 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract)
- 1 1/2 cups Powered Sugar
- Place your candy canes in a heavy duty freezer bag. The mini candy canes are the easiest to shatter so I recommend you use those. After sealing the bag, use a hammer or marble rolling pin to crush the candy. (Alternately, you can use a food processor, but it is more fun to whack at them with a hammer!) You want small pieces, not powder.
- Measure the Chex Cereal into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and butter. Stir frequently so the chocolate doesn't burn.
- After your chocolate is completely melted, remove from heat and add in the peppermint oil. I recommend starting with 2 drops and then tasting to see if it is minty enough. You can always add a drop or two more if it needs it. Mix well.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the Chex Cereal and toss until all the cereal is well coated.
- Mix in the crushed candy canes.
- Add the powdered sugar and toss until all pieces are well covered.
- Spread on a cookie sheet and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container or portion into pretty packaging to give as holiday gifts.
When I spread my Reindeer Chow on a cookie sheet to cool, I always line the pan with a silicone mat. Since nothing sticks to the mat, it makes cleanup a breeze!
If you are giving Reindeer Chow as gifts this holiday season, you will want some festive packaging. Since the recipe contains candy canes, these cute cellophane bags would be just perfect!
If you need more homemade gift ideas, this book is full of recipes that would be great to share with family and friends this holiday season.