Namaste!! Sabudana khichdi is an Indian breakfast recipe combination of tapioca pearls, potatoes, and peanuts mainly. This is a traditional recipe at times of fasting. This is a vegan and gluten-free dish. Generally tapioca pearls are also used in vada and dessert recipes.
This khichdi is very simple and tasty. When I am staying in Bangalore for the first time I tasted this dish from my friend Patel. I loved it, from then I started preparing it once in a while. This would be more flavorful with yogurt.
- 1 cup sabudana/tapioca pearls/sago
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 small potato, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, roasted
- 2 green chilles/capsicum
- few curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, optional
Tips and Tricks
- Don't add excess water for soaking Sabudana else it results mashy.
- Don't cook on high flame to avoid stickiness.
- Add lemon juice to avoid any lumps formation.
Step 1: Soaking Tapioca Pearls/Sabudana
- Wash Tapioca pearls/Sabudana 2 to 3 times by rubbing it slightly for removing excess starch.
- Soak 1 cup of Sabudana with 1 cup of water overnight or at least for 6 hours.
- When tapioca pearls are soaked well, then they will be no excess water and softened.
Step 2: Preparing Khichdi
- Take a pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil, 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds, chopped potato.
- Roast it on medium flame until potatoes become into gold color.
- Grind roasted peanuts into a rough powder.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, green chilies, curry leaves and saute it.
- On a low flame, add soaked Sabudana and peanut powder.
- Saute it until Sabudana become transparent.
- Add pepper, lemon juice, and saute it for a minute.
- Finally garnish with cilantro, and enjoy it.
Please do try and let me know how it is in the comments section below.