Sauteed Spinach with Bacon & Balsamic Vinegar: A Wahls Diet Recipe
A Sauteed Spinach Recipe for the Wahls Diet
I came up with this sauteed spinach recipe this week when I needed a quick and easy dinner after a busy day of running errands. I used spinach, but the recipe would work with any green leafy vegetable, such as kale.
It starts with natural bacon without nitrates or additives. You may need to buy this from a local farmer or an organic market. I used organic onions, mushrooms and baby spinach. Feel free to substitute another green leafy vegetable. I also used an organic balsamic vinegar, and topped it off with nutritional yeast.
This sauteed spinach recipe is suitable for the Wahls Diet or anyone following a paleo diet. It is also gluten free and dairy free.
Photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sixteenmilesofstring/...
All quantities are approximate. Feel free to increase or decrease amounts to suit your needs and tastes.
Start by cooking bacon in a stainless steel skillet over low to medium-low heat until just done. Set the bacon aside. Pour off the grease and save it in the refrigerator for other recipes.
My brain needs the fat in the bacon for making myelin that has been damaged by transverse myelitis, but if you do not have such a health condition you may wish to drain the bacon on paper towels.
- 3/4 cup sliced or chopped mushrooms
- 1 sliced onion
- 3 cups of spinach or other greens
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- sprinkle of freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 slices freshly cooked bacon
- Sautee mushrooms and onions in small amount of bacon grease until just tender. Do not overcook.
- Add the spinach and sautee until just wilted. Do not overcook.
- Add balsamic vinegar and toss spinach to coat. Season with sea salt then remove to dinner plate.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and nutritional yeast. Garnish with sliced almonds and crumbled bacon.
Greens Glorious Greens - Sauteed Spinach Recipes and More
This book will tell you how to select, store and prepare the greens for the best flavor. Many delicious recipes. This cookbook has outstanding reviews. If you are trying to include more greens in your diet, you probably cannot do better than this cookbook.
Please Answer My Poll
Do you think you will try this recipe?
Spinach & Beyond - Sauteed Spinach Recipes & More
If you are looking for delicious ways to get more greens into your diet, here are some good cookbooks to get you started.
This book explains the varieties of green, leafy vegetables, the many health benefits of eating greens, and includes many recipes for preparing them, from the very easy to the complex. This book is highly recommended!
We would love to hear your comments about increasing green vegetables in your diet!