S'more Suprise Pie
A Challenge is Met
For her cooking blog my fiancee issued a cooking challenge, the challenge was we'd each pick a course at random (salad, main, desert) then we'd pick 3 to 5 items that the other person had to use in the preparation of their dish.
She drew main and I picked artichoke, quail, quails eggs, and spring roll wrappers. See the resulting masterpiece here.
I drew desert and she picked for me Fluff marshmallow topping, strawberries, evaporated milk, and smore flavoured pop tarts. I invented the S'more Surprise Pie. I ended up burning the topping, but it was still quite tasty (if you like to char your marshmallow's when cooking them over the fire you'll love it this way).
Chocolate Pudding for the Filling
I was rather generous with the cocoa and used heaping tablespoons instead of the well measured ones I normally would use when I made this in order to make it a very dark and rich pudding, it paid off.
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp of corn starch
- 3 tbsps of cocoa
- 2 tbsps of sugar
- 1 tbsp of water
- 1 1/2 cup of evaporated milk
- mix all ingredients except the milk in the pot, mix well until it forms a paste
- warm up the milk
- mix warm milk into the pot with the other ingredients
- mix well
- cook on medium low stirring constantly until approximately the thickness of mayonnaise
- set aside to cool and begin working on the pie
There is a recipe in here for chocolate pudding, the recipe above is loosely based on the recipe from this book.
S'more Surprise Pie
Be careful when broiling, it is really really easy to burn the topping. It will take less than five minutes to burn the topping.
Prep Time: 20 mins
- 1 pkg of 8 s'more flavoured Pop Tarts
- 15 oz (two jars) of Fluff marshmallow topping
- 2 cups (aprox) of sliced strawberries (this is the surprise ingredient)
- pudding from the above recipe
- in a pie plate lay and flatten the pop tarts to form a pie crust
- lay the sliced strawberries down mostly filling up the crust
- pour the chocolate pudding over the strawberries completely covering them
- top the pie with Fluff marshmallow topping
- broil for a very short time until marshmallow is desired colour
The process in picturesClick thumbnail to view full-size
© 2013 Jeff Johnston