- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
Spicy Tomato, Sausage and Cabbage Soup Recipe
Soup is often described as the ultimate comfort food - and there can be little doubt that this claim is made with considerable justification. What general food type can really be more versatile? What can be more warming on a cold Winter's night? What can be more pleasurable to prepare and share with family and friends? If there is one drawback with soup, however, it is that preparing it properly - including making stock from scratch - can be an all day or even overnight process. This soup recipe is different in that it is ready to eat from start to finish in about half an hour but is no less delicious for this significantly reduced timescale.
The stock used in this soup is homemade chicken stock but it was made well in advance and frozen in portions that it could be used at any time over the following three months, as and when required. It need not even be defrosted beforehand! SImply add it frozen to a small saucepan and very gently heat - making sure of course that you never refreeze any excess!
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: Two large servings
Rate this Recipe Idea!
- 4 skinless pork sausages
- 4 Savoy cabbage leaves, central vein removed and roughly sliced/chopped
- Vegetable oil
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 14 ounce can of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice
- Tomato can full equivalent of fresh chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon medium strength chilli powder (or to taste)
- Roughly chopped parsley leaves to garnish
Most people tend to think of soup as a dish most suited to Winter, when the days and nights are cold or we are suffering from a cold or flu and need warm and comforting sustenance. As this wonderful book shows, however, soup is actually a lot more versatile and different types of soup - from broth to gazpatcho - exist suited to every time of the year. If you are looking for an appropriate soup of the day - every day - you will not find a better recipe guide.
- Fry the sausages very gently in a little vegetable oil until just cooked. This should take around ten minutes. Lift to a plate with cooking tongs and briefly set aside.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in to a large soup pot and gently heat. Fry the cabbage, onion and garlic until the cabbage and onion are just softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the canned tomatoes in to the pot and use the empty tomato can to measure out an equivalent amount of chicken stock. The stock should also go in to the pot.
- Add the chilli powder, stir well and bring to a gentle simmer, stiriing occasionally, for ten minutes. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if and as required.
- The soup is now ready to serve by ladling it in to serving bowls and garnishing with the chopped parsley. Alternatively, it can be cooled and refrigerated in an appropriate dish for simple reheating the following evening.