How to Make Stuffed Zucchini Boats
These Stuffed Zucchini Boats Are Healthy, Easy, and Scrumptious!
For a light, healthy, and easy meal, I definitely recommend trying my Stuffed Zucchini Boats recipe. I found this recipe online and have been meaning to try it out for quite some time. I'm glad that I finally did!
As with most recipes I find, I tend to tweak them a bit to my liking, and this recipe is no different. Rather than regular bacon, I decided to use turkey bacon and also changed up some of the spices.
Some meals can be so heavy and leave you feeling uncomfortable after eating. This Stuffed Zucchini Boat recipe is exactly opposite of that. I found this meal to be light and delicious.
All photos below were taken by me and belong to me. Please request permission before using.
Zucchini is Healthy for your Heart!
February is National Heart Healthy Month. Let's pay homage to this delicious vegetable! Zucchini is not only tasty, but is high in Potassium and reduces Blood Pressure and Heart Rates by countering the pressure effects of Sodium.
Information provided by: Nutrition-And-You
Recipe for Stuffed Zucchini Boats
I was looking for a healthy, yet interesting dinner idea and I came upon Stuffed Zucchini Boats at Kayotic Kitchen.
As usual, I tweaked the recipe to my tastes and substituted regular bacon with turkey bacon and also changed up the spices a bit as well. Of course, you could make this a vegetarian dish and leave out the turkey bacon or substitute it with vegetarian bacon.
This dish tasted amazing! One other perk is that it was an interesting way to prepare a healthy meal with plenty of vegetables, because let's face it, vegetables can get pretty dull and boring.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did and feel free to add your own tweaks and twists to make it fit your tastes.
- 2 Medium Zucchini
- 2 Roma Tomatoes - Chopped
- 1/2 of a Medium Onion - Chopped
- 6 Slices Turkey Bacon
- 2 Tbsp Light Sour Cream
- 1/2 Tsp Curry Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella
- Begin by preheating your oven to 400 degrees (F).
- Cut each Zucchini in half, lengthwise. Spoon out the middle of each Zucchini half, leaving roughly 1/2 inch of the Zucchini remaining. Save the Zucchini you scoop out and put to the side, you will need this later.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place pieces of Turkey Bacon on it, spaced evenly apart. Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until crispy.
- While the Turkey Bacon is baking, sprinkle a pinch of salt in the depression of the Zucchini halves and brush the outside skin with olive oil. Place the Zucchini boats in a baking dish. Set aside.
- Next take the excess Zucchini you scraped out from the center and chop into small 1 inch pieces. At this time, also chop up the Roma Tomatoes, Onion, and Turkey Bacon.
- Place the chopped Zucchini, Roma Tomatoes, Onion, and Turkey Bacon in a medium sized mixing bowl. Stir in Sour Cream, Curry Powder, Dried Thyme, Parmesan, and Salt. Mix all ingredients together well.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture into the Zucchini boats. Then sprinkle the Shredded Mozzarella on the top of each one.
- Bake the Zucchini boats for approximately 25 minutes. Turn the oven on Broil for 2 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.