- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Tough Times Food - Strawberry Pie Recipe
Hot strawberry pie. Serve it as it is or with a scoope of vanilla icecream. Enjoy!
Tough Times Food is obviously about saving money. But it's not impossible to make good, tasty food for little money. Furthermore, we all need encouragement and something to look forward to in a time of recession, war and natural disasters. To find or create joy each day brings a little light into this world.
I hope I can bring a little joy into your life with a strawberry pie recipe that is absolutely scrummy and mouthwatering delicious without breaking the budget.
What You Need to Make a Strawberry Pie
2 Egg Yolks
2 Table Spoon Flour
2 Table Spoon Sugar
2 Table Spoon Vanilla Sugar
2 Deciliter (less than 1 cup) Milk
How To Make Strawberry Pie
If you use frozen strawberries; start by defreezing the strawberries in a sift so the water can run off while you start making the dough.
- Grease the pie plate with butter.
- Knead the butter with the flour and icing sugar and add eggs.
- Sprinkle the pie dough with flour and chill in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- Knead through the dough again and roll it into a round plate with a rolling pin.
- Press the doug into place in the pie plate with your fingers
- Store the pie dough in the refrigerator while you make the vanilla cream.
Strawberries vary in price during the year corresponding with supply and demand. However if you are as lucky as me - to grow them in your garden or in a pot on your balcony - they are free.
Strawberries are high in vitamins and low in calories. Besides from that they provide quite a few health benefits. (See the capsular below about nutritional value and health benefit af strawberries).
Did you know that strawberries are beneficial for your brain function, and is said to provide relief from high blood pressure and heart diseases?
How To Make Vanilla Cream
- Beat 2 egg yolks into a small saucepan (Save the egg whites in the refrigerator, they can be used for example to make Egg-Fried-Rice at a later time)
- Sprinkle two tablespoons of flour and two tablespoons of sugar over the egg yolks and whisk them together while they warm up slowly on the stove.
- Be careful to stir the pot, so the cream does not burn.
- Add milk gradually and continue to stir the vanilla cream while it thickens.
- When the cream is thickened to a consistency like gravy - add vanilla sugar and enjoy the sensuous scent of vanilla.
- Let the cream cool off while you distribute the whole strawberries on the pie dough, and chop the dark chocolate coarsely.
- Now all that remains is to pour the vanilla cream over the strawberries and sprinkle the whole thing with dark chocolate.
- Bake the pie in the oven at approx. 175 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes.
Nutritional Value and Health Benefit of Strawberries
- Strawberry Nutrition Information and Health Benefits
Strawberry nutrition research reveals many health benefits for heart, cancer protection and memory.