- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Turkey Curry Mini Puff Pastry Pies Recipe
Chicken curry pies are a fairly well established and popular creation but when I picked up a bargain piece of turkey in the supermarket last night, I wondered how turkey curry pies would be likely to work. So, for my latest mini puff pastry pies creation, I decided to give it a go. I was delighted with the results and would recommend this idea particularly where you have leftover turkey meat from Thanksgiving or Christmas. It is a great way to make turkey leftovers meals that little bit different.
You can make the curry as simple or as complex as you want. In this instance (given that I was trying out the idea for the first time) I simply stirred the turkey through a basic, premade, supermarket curry sauce. To serve, you could eat the pies just as they are by hand as snacks or buffet food but here I served them with some turmeric spiced boiled rice.
- 4 tablespoons curry sauce
- 6 tablespoons cooked, cooled and shredded turkey breast meat
- Half pound puff pastry
- Flour for rolling pastry
- Beaten egg for glazing pastry
- 6 ounces (or as required) basmati or long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander leaf/cilantro (plus extra to garnsih)
It may not be for making pies that these useful little ramekins were designed but they are absolutely perfect for the purpose. Simply grease them with a little butter, line with puff pastry and include your filling of choice. Alternatively, use them to make souffles, serve party dips, or any one of several other household purposes.
- Put the curry sauce and the turkey meat in to a large bowl and stir to evenly combine, ensuring all the pieces of turkey are covered in the sauce.
- As always, I rolled out the pastry, cut it to appropriate sizes (main cases and lids) and lined four small buttered ramekins with the main case portions. I spooned in the curried turkey to almost but not quite fill.
- Sit the lids on the pastry cases and leave to rest while your oven preheats to 210C/425F/Gas Mark 7.
- Eggwash the pie lids then crimp the edges and eggwash the crimps. Cut a steam vent in the centre with a sharp knife.
- Bake the pies on a tray for 30 to 35 minutes until risen and golden.
- When the pies are almost but not quite ready, wash the rice through a sieve under running cold water and add to a deep pot of boiling water. Season with salt and the turmeric and stir well. Simmer for ten minutes.
- Take the pies from the oven and leave to rest for ten minutes or so.
- Drain the rice, return to the pot and stir through most of the coriander/cilantro.
- Carefully turn the pies from the ramekins (loosening around the top edge with a blunt edged knife if necessary) and plate with the rice alongside to serve, garnishing with the remaining chopped herb.
Like this Recipe Idea? Why not Rate them Below?
If you've bought your ramekins and have all the tools for making your mini puff pastry pies, it may be that you are looking for filling recipes or ideas. In this incredible book, you will find no less than 300 of them, designed to take your pie making skills to whole new levels of tastiness.