- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Basic Turkey Soup Recipe
Aren't these the cutest bowls you've ever seen? The set comes in 4 and the 4 are in all different colors.
How Many Ways Can You Make Turkey Soup
Seems like every time I make turkey soup I somehow manage to change it up each time.
At Christmastime when turkeys go on sale I usually grab two or three for the freezer to eat over the winter months. I've even been known to have six turkeys in my freezer at one time. Yes we love turkey at my house.
A few days ago I made a Mini Tom for dinner and as always saved the carcass to make soup with. Hubby has not been feeling at that well this week so today I made turkey soup for dinner and got rid little bits of this and that by adding it to my Turkey Kitchen Soup.
Photo source: All photos used in this article are the property of the author Susan Zutautas. If you'd like to borrow, use, or steal them, please get written permission first before doing so.
Perfect for making none other than French Onion Soup. This is one of my most favorite types of soup to eat and order at a restaurant. Why not make your very own French Onion Soup at home.
Good For What Ails You
Due to my husband feeling ill this week I decided to make him one of his favorite soups, which is my homemade turkey soup.
Kitchen sink soups are a great way to use up leftovers and little bits of frozen veggies that you have hanging around in your freezer.
- 1 turkey carcass
- fresh cold water
- 1 shallot peeled and chopped
- 1 box of chicken broth
- celery seed spice
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 5 dashes of Tabasco sauce
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Frozen Vegetables of your choice
- 1/2 cup of Acini di Pepe pasta
- 1/2 cup of roasted chicken & wild Uncle Ben's rice
- In a 6 quart soup pot or Dutch oven cover the turkey carcass with water and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer for at least 1/2 an hour.
- Carefully remove the carcass from the pot and then strain the remaining contents saving all the broth.
- Pour the broth back into the pot.
- Remove as much of the turkey meat as possible off of the carcass and set aside.
- To the broth in the pot add the chicken broth, chopped shallot, spices and turkey meat and cook on medium high.
- Next add the rice and pasta to the pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add your choice of frozen vegetables and cook until vegetables are done.
- Serve and ENJOY!
Mini Tom Turkey
Shallot or Not Shallot?
What's the difference between a Shallot and and Onion?
Shallots are quite similar to onions in taste except they are a little milder in flavor. When I chop onions my eyes do not water at all, but yet when I chop shallots they do.
I find that they are a welcomed change when adding them to soups, stews, and other dishes that I make.
To learn more about shallots visit Wikipedia.