- Food and Cooking
Best Free Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito Recipe
Two Free Recipes to Make Your Morning Sunny
Lucky YOU - YES - this is actually two free recipes in one! The burritos become a regular morning meal because they cover all of the nutrition bases. It's also a great camping and cottage meal because it's quick, savoury, and filling. Pair this with a cup of milky tea (of course! what else would I drink?) or better yet, Mexican Hot Chocolate(!), and a glass of orange juice and you will feel satisfied for the morning.
Light and Savoury
Bobby Flay says,
"Never say delicious - it means nothing!"
I want to say this recipe is a delicious answer
to that age old question
"What's for Breakfast?"
Instead, I'll say it's a SAVOURY, protein-packed,
Before making this recipe, you'll need to ensure that you have stocked your pantry with the following.
Eggs or Egg Whites
Vegetarian Refried Beans
Jalapeno Jack or Cheddar Cheese
Soy Vegetable Protein
A Secret Ingredient
In many of my Mexican recipies, I add a piece of Mexican chocolate. And, if you're considering a side drink with breakfast, boil milk (cow's, soy, cocoanut, rice, almond) and drop in a piece of chocolate for each cup. This is a fantastic sweet foil to this savoury dish. And for extra special zing to your morning, consider adding a little hot chili - a very little - and stir well. Â¡Buen provecho
Note: some of the chocolate items available are powdered. It is possible to substitute powdered chocolate mix for chocolate pieces. Add to taste, which will require a little experimentation. Remember, it's possible to always add more, and it's impossible to remove chocolate if you add too much to start with. ;)
Making your own veggie sausage is easy! The best part is that you can double, triple, or quadruple the recipe so that you can use it for breakfasts during the week, or it can be frozen for use at another time. So, let's get to it.
- 1/4 cup Soy Vegetable Protein
- 2 Tablespoons Oatmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 tablespoons finely minced Onion
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced Garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 whisked egg
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1. In a glass bowl, mix the first 9 ingredients.
- 2. Add 3/4 cups of boiling water, stir, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- 3. Remove cover, stir, and let sit for 5 more minutes.
- 4. Stir in 2 tablespoons of whisked Egg.
- 5. Heat oil on medium in cast iron pan
- 6. Add mixture to pan and cook as "crumbled" veggie sausage until browned on 2 sides. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Now you can use this in the Veggie Breakfast Burrito recipe. If you have increased the recipe, once cooled, you can package the extra for freezing for future use or keep it packaged in the fridge for use within the week.
Boiling water in a cordless kettle is a convenience I could never have imagined. But honestly? Boiling water in any kind of kettle is better than using a pot. It boils faster, using less energy, and stays hot for longer. Try one of these babies.
My family members turn up their noses at 'tofu', but these burritos keep them coming back for more.
Mexican Cook Ware
Ever thought about making your own tortillas? It's fun, especially with kids. Take a look at these kitchen gadgets that might help with your breakfast cooking needs.
Step 2 - Make Your Burrito
- 4 Corn Tortillas
- 3 Eggs or 4 Egg Whites
- 1 Diced Red Pepper
- Veggie Sausage (see above for recipe)
- 1/4 cup Refried Beans
- Grated Jalapeno Jack or Cheddar Cheese
- 1. Scramble eggs or egg whites, season lightly with salt and pepper, and quickly cook on no-stick cast iron pan at medium heat.
- 2. Divide eggs into 4 and place eggs on each of 4 tortillas.
- 3. Add 1/4th of refried beans, red pepper, and veggie sausage to the length of each tortilla.
- 4. Sprinkle with Jalapeno Jack or Cheddar Cheese.
- 5. Roll up tortilla.
- 6. Using the same pan that the eggs were cooked in, toast the rolled tortilla on medium heat, seam side down to start, covered with lid. Turn to toast on multiple sides until golden brown.
As much as I would like to negate this, the plates used matter. Colour is proven to affect appetite and it's said often - we eat first with our eyes. Consider upgrading your plates.
If you can use Jalapeno cheeses in this recipe, it kicks the flavour up a notch.
Time to Eat!
Are you on the run? This is a great little package to wrap in wax paper and a napkin, so you can eat as you go out the door. If you have the time to sit down, slice each burrito in half and serve on a bright plate with strawberry or orange slices, utensils, and a Mexican Hot Chocolate. These can be made ahead and warmed in the microwave - be sure to refrigerate immediately after cooking and use within the day.
We are all told that breakfast is such an important part of the day. It's really important to eat something so as to break the fast that occurs over night. But in the June 2012 O Magazine (Oprah) I read that breakfast doesn't have to be a huge meal, it just has to be something (and including protein is nutritionally significant). Let us know about breakfast in your house. Do you like to sit down with family? Do you gobble in the car? Are you standing at the bus stop with a coffee? Do you feed the kids in the backseat as you drive to school?