- Food and Cooking
Hearty Vegetarian Chili
Tired of all the vegetarian chili recipes saying things like 'light, low fat, and colorful?' That's not what chili is about; It's about comfort food and having something warm to eat with your freshly baked cornbread on a cold day. This chili is spicy, 'meaty' and delicious. Serve it to your non-vegetarian friends, and they'll think you started eating meat again.
Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 finely cut jalapeno pepper
- 1 medium chopped white onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cocoa
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder or 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounces beer (regular or non-alcoholic)
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 1/4 cup ground meat substitute
- 4 cloves pressed garlic
- Heat oil in large saucepan.
- When Boiling add the chopped jalapeno and onion.
- Cook until onions become clear.
- Add cumin, chili powder, paprika, cornmeal, sugar, oregano, cayenne pepper, ground cinnamon, white pepper, flour, cocoa, and broth seasoning.
- Cook until seasonings brown.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Cook for 15 minutes on high heat stirring constantly.
- Cover and let simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
download your free printable recipe card
"This chili was excellent. The funny thing is I am not vergetarian. Everyone in my Family eats meat, but I thought I would try this recipe on them and not tell them it was veggie meat. We all agreed,
it was the best chili we ever had."
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 to 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease 8-inch square baking pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Combine milk, eggs, oil and butter in small bowl and mix well. Add to flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Pour into baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.
- For corn muffins, spoon batter into muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans.
Or if you're feeling a bit more adventurous, try Jalapeno Corn Bread.
Beans and Cornbread
This is one of my favorite songs. It reminds me of that show "Dinner and a Movie" - my favorite hosts were Annabelle and Paul. :)