Vegetarian Creamy Potato Soup
This Recipe from Monica
Origin of Recipe
My sister, Monica, gave me this recipe for Creamy Potato Soup; she lives in Chino, California, with her four children.
2 Vegetarians in the House
My daughter, Camera was vegetarian for awhile, took a break for several months, and went back to vegetarianism. And then my son, Chester (real name "Jerry") decided to go vegetarian, also, so two of my three adult children do not eat meat.
When my son Chester decided to go vegetarian he wanted me to find more recipes that are vegetarian-friendly. I found lots and lots on the Internet, but many of these recipes contain strange ingredients that my kids do not want to try. Then on one winter day, Monica came over with some of her Creamy Potato Soup; once Chester tasted it, he wanted me to get the recipe for her. It is very tasty!
We like cooking this soup in a crock pot so it blends the flavors thoroughly - you get the best flavor this way. Plus, using a crock pot gives you cooking freedom -- you do not have to stir it or constantly keep an eye on it so it does not burn. You can go shopping or to work-- and when you get back home your Vegetarian Creamy Potato Soup is ready to serve.
The weird thing about this soup is that it tastes "meaty" even though it contains no meat, which makes it a great entrée or side dish for vegetarians. Vegetarian Creamy Potato Soup is not for vegans (Click to Tweet) because it uses milk. To make this recipe vegan you would have to find a suitable substitute for the milk it requires, and this will affect the taste of the soup.
- 4 pounds raw medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or use 2 Swanson Flavor Boost vegetable broth packets + 4 cups of water)
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 cups Bacos (imitation bacon bits)-- according to taste
- "Add Last":
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup flour
4-Quart Crock Pot
- Dice potatoes, onion, and garlic and add them to your crock pot.
- Now add the water, margarine, vegetable broth, and seasonings to the crock pot. Stir the ingredients.
- Set the crock pot on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- 30 minutes before the soup is done: stir the milk and flour together until there are no lumps, then add it to the soup.
- Add the milk+flour mixture to the rest of the soup and let it cook for 30 minutes more to thicken the soup.
- If the soup is still too thin, add a little cornstarch to thicken it.
- Serves: 6- 8 hungry people
Rate This Recipe
© 2014 Miriam Parker