Veggie Kabobs from Boulder Mountain
Veggie Kabobs prepared on Boulder Mountain, Utah, by my son-in-law, Larry Johnson
These fantastic Veggie Kabobs were prepared with loving care by Larry Johnson incorporating a unique combination of vegetables available to him here, near Teasdale, Utah - you may add or delete ingredients to please your tastes or culinary pleasures. This lens will focus on the Veggie Kabobs.
Some special ingredients included here are Portobello Mushroom, Jicama, and Cauliflower.
The photo I took here was before the basting or grilling.
The photo shows Larry basting the veggie kabobs before he places them on the grill.
The setting is the deck of their house with the Watherpocket Fold of the Capital Reef National Park in the background.
- 1 small to medium zucchini squash
- 1 small to medium yellow squash
- 6 -8 small portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1 cup Jicama (cut off / peel brown outer layer)
- 1 each of red & green sweet pepper
- half an onion
- cherry tomatoes
- soak bamboo skewers in hot water
- 30 minutes (As you are preparing veggies)
- After vegetables are cleaned, cut them into chunks (cherry tomatoes can be used whole) that can be skewered for grilling: squash 3/8" to 1/2" thick rounds, small portobellos can be used whole, cut cauliflower into individual florets (larger ones can be subdivided), chunk Jicama into 1/2" to 3/4" squares, peppers into 1" to 1 1/4" strips, cut 1/2 small to medium sized onion into quarter sections - separate into layers.
- Preheat outdoor grill to medium heat
- Thread vegetables onto skewers, varying types and colors
- Bast the vegetables with olive oil, finish with light basting of Teriyaki sauce
- Cook skewers on grill until vegetables are lightly charred all over, turn about every 5 minutes - cook 15 to 20 minutes.
Veggie Kabobs of the grill; they need a few more minutes
OK, you noticed. There are a couple of skewers of pineapple there, as well. Dessert?
Can I count Pineapples as Veggies? A suppose not! Sorry!