- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Vietnamese Beef Carpaccio Recipe (Bo Tai Chanh)
Bo Tai Chanh
Bo tai chanh is Vietnamese style of carpaccio. There are some variants on how to prepare this appetizer. Some people use lime juice or lemon juice, pineapple juice and cook the beef lightly in pineapple juice. Others, sear the beef before curing it with lime juice.
If you like beef carpaccio then you will like bo tai chanh. This dish is very easy to make, flavorful and elegant. Besides this dish extremely well presented on the dish platter and very appealing. If you like to try something new, then this dish is for you. Some exotic ingredients such as fish sauce will give different tones on your carpaccio. What you need to fix this delightful dish is just good beef cut, lime juice and some herbs. Give it a try to enjoy it with some beers and snacks. Here is favorite Vietnamese beef carpaccio recipe.
What You Need For Fixing Bo Tai Chanh
1 1/2 lbs beef loin, grilled it rare or you can seared it on the grill
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp salt
1/3 tsp ground black pepper
3 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp lime juice
4 tbsp pineapple juice
1 tsp chili paste
sweet and sour fish sauce (see recipe bellow)
crushed roasted peanuts or cashews
fresh cilantro, chopped
fresh mint, shredded
Thai basil, shredded
How to Make Bo Tai Chanh
- In a small bowl, mix sugar, lime juice, salt, pineapple juice, chili paste, dish sauce and black pepper. Make sure all of the ingredients dissolve properly. Set aside. If you do not stand heat, omit the chili paste. Substitute it with milder pepper such as jalapeno or sweet pepper. I like mine hot spicy.
- After searing the beef. Rest it for about 15 minutes. Then, slice thinly again the grain.
- If you like, you can use rare beef instead of seared beef. Wrap the beef and put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes. When the beef is firm up, you can slice it easier. Slice it into very thin strip as possible and across the grain.
- In a mixing bowl, toss beef and 3/4 of dressing mix. Make sure all beef slices are coated with the dressing. Let stand for about 30 minutes. Reserve remaining dressing for garnishing.
- Drain your beef and arrange it on a platter. Preferable is chilled one. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and add fresh mint, basil, cilantro, slice onion or your favorite herbs for garnishing. Sprinkle it with crushed roasted peanut and fried shallot.
Sweet and Sour Fish Sauce
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp lime juice
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp chili paste
8 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 cup warm water
In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients. Make sure that sugar is completely dissolve. Omit chili paste if you do not like it or add more your favorite chili if it is not hot enough.
More Great Recipes
- Easy Pisang Bakar - Indonesian Grilled Banana Sundae Recipe. How to Make Simple Grilled Banana!
Good hot summer weather brings abundance of fresh fruits. Bringing back my childhood memories, We use to eat countless varieties of tropical fruits such as banana, mango, durian, etc. Mostly we consume it...
- Easy Stir-Fried Bok Choy with Tofu Recipe. How to make Chinese Stir fry!
Wok is the most important kitchen tool in Asian kitchen. It's very versatile. We use it on almost every cooking; you name it: steaming, frying, pan frying, and of course stir frying. I love stir frying...
- Stir-Fried Asparagus with Spicy Sichuan Sauce Recipe. How to Cook Chinese Style Asparagus!
I am glad winter is finally over and spring has sprung. I can hardly wait for the soil to warm enough so I can grow my own asparagus, my favourite spring vegetables. This tender, crisp and sweet...
- Easy Indonesian Jus Alpukat - Avocado Shake Recipe. How to Make Indonesian Style Shake!
Being grew-up in Indonesia, We use to serve avocado as fruit desserts, or other varieties desserts such as es teler (drunken fruits ice) and jus alpukat. Avocado as sweet desserts?. It sounds bizarre, isn't...
- Vietnamese Lemongrass Beef Satay Recipe (Thit Bo Nuong Xa)
Satay or sate is always on the menu of Thai or other Southeast Asian restaurants. Basically this dish is marinated meat on the skewer and grilled over charcoal flame. There are a lot variants of satay...
- Easy and Healthy Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls Recipe (Goi Cuan)
Goi cuan is fresh, light and healthy appetizer from Vietnam which is basically Vietnamese salad (goi) wrapped in rice paper. Sometime it is listed on the menus as summer rolls, salad rolls or garden rolls....